Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Pro/home And Dell

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Old_lady

Old_lady

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:24 PM

I ordered a Dell complete package because I needed XP Pro for work. But the sales rep wrote down XP Home. The big problem is I asked for French (never again) and impossible to find a French upgrade in North America.

I found and bought the complete XP Pro in English, and was ready to try and install it when I was reminded that I'll loose the guarantee if I change something in the system.

As I chose only a 1 year guarantee, I wonder if it's a big thing to loose it. :flowers:

Another Question : Should I format the wole hard disk and start anew with my XP Pro CD? I'm not sure if it will run by itself if there's no system left in the computer :thumbsup: ....), or if should try and make a new partition on C:/ to install it there. The remaining space on hard disk seems just about sufficient...

What do you suggest?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:36 PM

Well...I never worry about guarantees/warranties on hardware...and I don't buy whole systems.

My question is...have you talked to anyone at Dell about what happened and what you'd like to do?

I have never interpreted changing the O/S as a "change", since I thought that such warnings only applied to people like me who like to open the system and fool around with components.

I suggest you talk to someone at Dell, first and foremost.

Let's understand something...there is only one C: partition on any system. No such thing as creating "another."

You can dual-boot operating systems, but only one of those will be on C:, while the others will have different drive letters.

As to your question...does it make sense to have an operating system installed that you don't want, don't use, and don't need? If not, why even consider dual-booting?

IMO, there are very few things that go wrong with a computer system...where correction requires "support" from a box-maker. Between forums and the various informational items available at Microsoft and other websites, it's all there waiting to be read, understood, and executed.

And when all else fails with a problem, a clean install manages to solve any O/S situations :flowers:.

My two cents :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 Old_lady

Old_lady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:57 PM

Thanks, you're so reassuring!

so should I format the hard disk then insert my XP Pro CD?

Will the CD drive autorun with that CD in it?

BTW, I've been speaking with Dell for the last 2 weeks....

Edited by Old_lady, 05 December 2007 - 08:58 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:35 PM

You have to go into the BIOS and set the first boot device to be the CD player. You should also go to Dell and download the drivers for your specific model and burn them to a CD
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 03:51 PM

And Dell isn't honoring their own return policy?
http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topics/ref...amp;s=dhs#faq12
X

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:43 PM

Well...clue us all in on what Dell had to say, please. Such just might be important or helpful.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users