Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 eireau

eireau

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:57 PM

G'Day All,
Newbie here :trumpet: I just bought a new computer 2 days ago and I also bought a Graphics card.The computer is a
Highlander system with 3.0GHz Pentium D 531 Processor with 1M Cache 1gig memory.with no operating system as I had my own. I installed Win XP home and everything was fine,then I installed the Graphics card which is a Winfast PX-7800 GTX PCI Express. Thats when the trouble started :thumbsup: after I installed it,I turned on the computer and all I get is 1 beep then 2 beeps continuous,nothing on the screen. The bloke I bought the G B from is a trusted friend and it was working on his computer.So my problem is what did I do wrong,I've checked all the cables and nothing is out of place,also the board was put in the right PCI slot. And my other problem is I bought the computer from a on line company called DealsDirect (BIG mistake) here is a link to the computer I bought
http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/highlander...0gb-hd-1gb-ram/
so not much chance of getting any where with them,even though I have emailed them about the problem. I would really appreciate any help and info I can get :flowers:
Thanks in advance
Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:11 PM

hmmm, does the system have onboard video, they don't list which ASUS motherboard they used.
once we get you logged in, download and install this http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php and post the system spec screen if you could please.
I am assuming the motherboard has integrated video, unless you used a different video card to install xp.

you plugged in the correct power to the video card I assume.

#3 eireau

eireau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:35 PM

hmmm, does the system have onboard video, they don't list which ASUS motherboard they used.
once we get you logged in, download and install this http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php and post the system spec screen if you could please.
I am assuming the motherboard has integrated video, unless you used a different video card to install xp.

you plugged in the correct power to the video card I assume.

G'Day,
Thanks for your reply,yes the there is a Video card on board,however according to the instruction for installing the new G B
they just say's,uninstall any other video drivers,plus the new one takes preference.I should also mention that it's not the hard drive as I have put a startup floppy disk in and still nothing,so that rules out the HD, one down how many to go :thumbsup: and yes I plugged in the correct power.Excuse my ignorance but what would that link do? as the computer wont start.
Cheers

#4 eireau

eireau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 09:07 PM

G'Day,
Just checked the manual and the motherboard is a ASUS P5GC-MX Manual Ver E3153
Cheers

#5 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 09:21 PM

okay, that's a $600 motherboard, very nice.

I'll need you to reverify that the 24pin main power, and the 4 pin 12v rail are plugged in, and it looks like the video card requires a 8pin power plug, I do not have a clear view of it.

whats the wattage of your PSU?

#6 eireau

eireau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 09:36 PM

okay, that's a $600 motherboard, very nice.

I'll need you to reverify that the 24pin main power, and the 4 pin 12v rail are plugged in, and it looks like the video card requires a 8pin power plug, I do not have a clear view of it.

whats the wattage of your PSU?

G'Day,
Thanks for your reply,yes they were all plugged in at the time I was trying it, also it's a 6 pin plug and power is 400 w. To be honest with you I'm not concerned about the Graphics board,that's been taken out,my main concern at the moment is getting the computer to boot up.Do you think I should put it back in again? then try and boot,The reason I took it out was, I thought that might have been the reason why the computer would not boot up.
Cheers

#7 eireau

eireau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 09:57 PM

G'Day,
Just plugged in the Graphics board but no luck :thumbsup: computer still wont boot,just getting that continuous beep, beep beep, beep, beep beep I'm completely out of ideas.BTW I followed that link you give me,good little program,
Cheers

#8 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:21 PM

Are you sure you didn't bump the memory while putting in the Graphics card? You may want to reseat the memory just in case.

#9 eireau

eireau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:45 PM

Are you sure you didn't bump the memory while putting in the Graphics card? You may want to reseat the memory just in case.

G'Day,
Thanks for your reply,No I checked the memory and it was still seated,but I just done a search on Goggle for "Beep Codes" and found this which may be helpful to other members.
1 long, 2 short (Which is what I hear) Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information

One Long and Two Short Beeps (Which is what I hear) Video (Mono/CGA Display Circuitry) issue.

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

So I guess the new Graphics board has done something to the Video connector to the Monitor, well at least I know what the problem is, the next thing is, How do I fix it :thumbsup: any suggestion ?

#10 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:06 PM

either the video card is bad, or the slot it is plugged into is bad.
before you plugged in the video card, did you switch the video option in the bios from onboard to pciex?

#11 eireau

eireau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:18 PM

either the video card is bad, or the slot it is plugged into is bad.
before you plugged in the video card, did you switch the video option in the bios from onboard to pciex?

G'Day,
Thanks for your reply.No I didn't, the reason being according to the manual you put the Graphic card in first then insert the cd with the drivers on it.But as it did not boot I was unable to get that far. Now I have to find out how to rectify it and where I live we don't have any computer stores close by :thumbsup: .
Cheers

#12 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:56 PM

all you need to do is remove the video card, plug the monitor back into the onboard video boot and get into the bios, and change the boot video option to the pciex slot and then save and exit. turn off the pc, plug the card back in and try booting, if it still does the beep, then you need to verify the card works 1st, if it does then the motherboard is defective.

#13 eireau

eireau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:20 AM

all you need to do is remove the video card, plug the monitor back into the onboard video boot and get into the bios, and change the boot video option to the pciex slot and then save and exit. turn off the pc, plug the card back in and try booting, if it still does the beep, then you need to verify the card works 1st, if it does then the motherboard is defective.

G'Day RLI,
You burning the mid night oil :thumbsup: must be after midnight there? it's 16:14 here Thur, I done all that this morning mate I think the Graphic board has stuffed the on board Video as I'm getting nothing on the monitor,just the beeps :flowers: it's been in and out like a yoo yoo all day. I've tried everything,well not everything but you know what I mean.
Cheers

#14 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:01 PM

Maybe try resetting the bios to manufactures settings by unplugging your computer, removing the battery for about 5 mins. Replace it and try to turn it on again, without the new video card installed.

Here is a link that will give you a better discription if you are not familiar with this:

http://euphoriahere.blogspot.com/2007/11/r...s-password.html

You can also use the pins, but you need to know which ones to use.

#15 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:47 PM

You did plug the extra power cable into the graphics card, correct?
Just have to ask.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users