Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Speed Boost Between Using Windows Classic Over Xp Style?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DamnSnipers

DamnSnipers

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:16 PM

I recently reinstalled Windows and am interested in keeping it blazing fast, so I was wondering if there are any noticeable improvements in using the old Classic style of interface?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:19 PM

I would say that depends on the amount of RAM you have. When I got my system it had 128megs, everything was a little sluggish. Got a gig of RAM and now everything is fast no matter what the settings are.
X

#3 1101doc

1101doc

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:44 PM

It is not so much the theme as it is the Visual Effects.
If you open the System applet of the Control Panel and press the Settings button nearest the top under "Performance," Visual Effects usually displays as default.

Selecting the radio button for "Adjust for best performance" Apply. OK., will give you what looks like a "Classic" theme, but without any special effects.
This will provide a noticeable increase in system responsiveness.
Neurons that fire together, wire together.
posted with Opera

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:44 AM

The more "busy work" that the screen has to do - the more resources it will take up. In addition to 1101doc's suggestion, if you right click on the Desktop, select Properties, and then click on the Settings tab - you can adjust the color depth lower. That'll require less effort from the graphics and processor - so you'll have better performance due to that.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Rustendrage

Rustendrage

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:35 PM

The more "busy work" that the screen has to do - the more resources it will take up. In addition to 1101doc's suggestion, if you right click on the Desktop, select Properties, and then click on the Settings tab - you can adjust the color depth lower. That'll require less effort from the graphics and processor - so you'll have better performance due to that.

But lowering the color quality will make games,images,videos etc. look pretty bad.
Most people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them.

"You will never walk alone"

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:42 PM

Yes, it will detract from the "user experience" - so it's a trade off. Speed for visual quality - your choice.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users