Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comp Won't Load Bios

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 demonicblue

demonicblue

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:26 PM

Updated my BIOS with a tool from GIGBYTE(my motherboard creator). So it automaticly downloaded the right and latest BIOS, i checked the version before install. Halfway trough the computer starts to hack and get really slow and then... poof! bluescreen and reboot. Now this screen comes up first of all(nothing else) where it need a BIOS image (it's something called Boot Block v 1.0 from Award Software, Inc.).
It starts looking for a BIOS image. First it sais "Detecting Floppy drive A media..." after a sec it sais below "Scanning BIOS image in Hard Drive..." another sec and it sais "Scanning BIOS image in Floppy Diskette...". Here it stops and doesn't continue.
I have searched a bit on it and got some info on how to make a boot diskette. I formated a diskette with the option "Create MS-DOS boot" and then put the latest BIOS files in it. It was three files. "autoexec.bat" "flash(some numbs)" and some file(not .bin). I put it in and boot. Same thing, it doesn't continue after "Scanning BIOS image in Floppy Diskette...". I have tried to re-do the diskette and changed FDD cable, changed Floppy device, and tried to reset CMOS. But without any result :flowers:
The Floppy does makes some sound after boot but then it gets numb.

Some specs(please ask for moore info if you need):
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-945P-DS3 ver 2.0
CPU: Inter Core 2 Duo 2.14 Ghz
Memory: 2 GB DDR2
Harddrive: 80 GB Western Digital
Graphics: Nvidia 8500GT

Former BIOS ver: Dunno
Tried BIOS: F5

I hope you find everything you need and i hope that someone can help me.
This may not be everything you need so please tell if you need any moore info :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:59 PM

What was the reason for the bios update?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 demonicblue

demonicblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:03 PM

I had trouble with bluescreens and some wierd colors when playing certain videos. So i tried to get the latest updates for all.

#4 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:31 PM

have you tried unplugging the pc from the eletrical outlet, then removing the battery for about 15 minutes, then replacing the battery, then reconnecting power and try booting?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:58 AM

Sounds like the BIOS is searching for the BIOS update file (a .bin file) - try copying it to the floppy and then seeing if it recognizes it. This may or may not help - but you're not going to get anywhere until the BIOS is fixed.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 demonicblue

demonicblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:17 AM

have you tried unplugging the pc from the eletrical outlet, then removing the battery for about 15 minutes, then replacing the battery, then reconnecting power and try booting?

Yes but it didn't work.

Sounds like the BIOS is searching for the BIOS update file (a .bin file) - try copying it to the floppy and then seeing if it recognizes it. This may or may not help - but you're not going to get anywhere until the BIOS is fixed.

I have tried some, downloaded and extracted the latest BIOS files to a floppy, (no one of them was .bin) but that didn't work. ound some info that i should do a MS-DOS boot floppy with the files on it, and so i didi but still nothing. I'm now going to try only the .f5 file ore rename it to .bin .

How do i do this correctly? No .bin file is included in the BIOS files.

#7 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:21 PM

there's an option to download the bios file itself, and just make a bootable cd with it and the bios loader.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:12 PM

A good example of why it isn't a reliable process to update a BIOS from Windows.

If the BIOS flash has failed, the board will be unable to boot - there will be no value in either a floppy disk or CD being bootable.

It looks like the BIOS is trying to self-flash. I haven't been able to find precise instructions from Gigabyte for this, but my ASUS BIOS looks on the floppy disk for a file having the name of the motherboard model. Try re-naming the 945PDS3.F5 file on the floppy disk to simply 945PDS3 and start the system with the disk in it to see if Gigabyte does it the same way.

The 945PDS3.F5 file should be 512KB in size. Another possiblilty is the file may be corrupted. You could try downloading the update again from a different source:

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboar...mp;FileID=12894

and try again with the alternative file on the floppy disk.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:22 AM

I've updated about a 100 different machines in the last couple of years via the windows bios update and it was much easier and less of a hassle than the ancient way of doing it. I have concluded those that have issues with it, are the problem not the update, or as a person once said, 99.9% of computer problems are user error.

#10 demonicblue

demonicblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:29 AM

I tried to rename the file and boot but still nothing, it searched the floppy. I heard it working but it didn't continue. Any other ideas?

Booting from a cd won't work sience the motherboard blocks the computer from booting at all.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:23 PM

You did say that you removed the CMOS battery or cleared the CMOS by changing the motherboard jumper?

That seems to be the only chance you have of getting your original BIOS back...which I suspect has to happen for any update to take place.

Well, almost only...they still sell those BIOS chips but I don't think you want to go that route, http://www.biosman.com/bios-updates.htm

As suggested in the link above, you might contact the system manufacturer if nothing else works.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 December 2007 - 12:24 PM.

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:23 PM

Well, almost only...they still sell those BIOS chips but I don't think you want to go that route, http://www.biosman.com/bios-updates.htm
Louis

I've used Biosman a few times with success. Easy when it's in a socket, hard when it's soldered.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:53 PM

Hmm, Gigabyte make it a bit obscure to find out detailed information...

Looks like what is trying to operate is X-press BIOS Rescue:

http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard...px?NewTechID=84

Your S3 level board doesn't have hardware DualBIOS that the higher level boards have, it is supplied with the Virtual DualBIOS system. If you had run the X-press CD initially, a hidden backup of your BIOS (Virtual DualBIOS) would have been made to your hard drive, that would be what the system is searching for now. Since it appears to search the floppy drive also, it may still be that if we can find out the name of the file it's looking for, it might accept it from the floppy if there isn't one on the hard drive. However, since the backup is presumably made to the hard drive's HPA (Host Protected Area) it's hard to know what form the program is expecting the data to be in. Finding that information could be a challenge...

Just in case the board model number is the correct filename, one further possibility comes to mind: make sure the filename on the floppy disk is actually in upper-case, ie 945PDS3 not 945pds3 as can be created in Windows. A lower-case filename might not be recognised by the very basic BIOS file access routines used by the BIOS Boot Block.

Apart from that, garmanma's comments regarding a pre-flashed BIOS chip are probably the solution. Check the board to see if the BIOS chip is socketed or soldered in.

Edited by Platypus, 08 December 2007 - 09:57 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#14 demonicblue

demonicblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:51 PM

Thanks for your replies but after changing the name and everything it still won't work. I have tried to clear the CMOS for 20 min but it didn't work. So i have contacted my reseller and they say that they can take it in but that they have to send it to GIGABYTE wich may take some time but that's my only option right now :thumbsup:

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:32 PM

Well...considering the amount of time that you will be without the system...and the cost of shipping, I think I'd just replace the motherboard inexpensively and not go through the agonies of waiting. That's just me.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users