Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting To A Network Printer From Wireless

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rach98n

rach98n

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:07 PM

I have a Linksys router on Desktop 1. I have a USB printer attached to Desktop 2. I want to print the the printer from my laptop. It seems like I could do it before, but since buying a new laptop with Vista, I can't seem to locate and connect to the printer. I have tried to add a printer as a wireless printer using the computer and printer name for desktop2. I also have printer sharing checked ON on DT2. I can print to the printer from DT1. Any thoughts how to set this up from my laptop?? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:40 PM

Hi rach98n, where the printer is connected to you have to share the printer then on the laptop go to control panel and add the printer as a network printer. Also do you use a second firewall such as a security suite? If so you will have to let it through the firewall.
MCP
MSDST

#3 rach98n

rach98n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:16 PM

Thanks...but I've tried all that. Printer sharing is on where the printer is connected. I don't have any firewalls running that I know of. Would NAV stop it?? When I try to add the printer, I cannot get the laptop to locate it.

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 05:35 PM

Norton has its own built in firewall and yes it will stop you from locating the printer. Disable Norton firewall then try to locate the printer again.
MCP
MSDST

#5 rach98n

rach98n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:58 PM

:thumbsup: Thanks! I'm good to go now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic