Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem in opening context menu

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 yogivarun

yogivarun

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 22 February 2005 - 12:20 PM

:thumbsup:

I am on a WIN ME system ( build 4.90.3000 ) .

Most of the times , though not always , when i right click to open the context menu I see a msg box for Windows Installer . When I cancel it I find another box for installation of Microsoft XP Office. It is only after cancelling this that I find the context menu opening.

Can anyone out there help with a solution. Thanks in advance.

Whatever Life takes away from you, let it go.

When you surrender and let go of the past,

you allow yourself to live in the moment.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 megaman

megaman

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 22 February 2005 - 06:05 PM

can u give us any more info. was office ever loaded on your pc ?
The definition of success is the ability to survive failure !

#3 yogivarun

yogivarun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2005 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for the quick response Megaman.

MS Office was installed on my system right from the beginning. However I did remove Systems Restore from the system as also tried to remove WMIEXE.EXE , though I still find it running on my Process Explorer.

I have made various other tweaks so as to enable my ME to run more efficiently . I am regular in visiting Microsoft Update site and my system is update as uptil 2 days ago.

Can you suggest anything.This definitely is a irritant.

#4 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 24 February 2005 - 02:43 AM

Personally, I would do a System Restore and get your PC back to normal.
If you disabled System Restore, then enable it. For details, please click here where the functions are clearly explained. How to re-enable System Restore is further down the page.
I'd like for you to close out all windows and disconnect from the internet once you've re-enabled System Restore. Then click Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. Select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" and click Next. You'll see a calendar with some dates in bold. Choose the one most recent before your problem began. Just click on that date and it will perform the function and will immediately reboot your PC. You'll get a successful confirmation that it went through and your computer will finish loading as normal.
You can do this in Safe Mode but it's not required.
Please let us know if this solved your issue.

~67~

#5 yogivarun

yogivarun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for the advice Texas Angel.

I am sure you must have weighed the pros and cons before giving the advice.But the point is that I had deliberately disabled the RESTORE due to a) its usage of more than 2 GB on me C drive b)usage of some memory c) GO BACK being available with me which has been able to the job very well for me on many a occasion-though maybe not as far back in the past as one would like and d) recommendation of many on the web.

Though I would definitely like to remove this irritant but I would like you to reconsider your advice in light of above specially if this is the only problem one has to face for disabling the RESTORE.Speaking for myself I do not seem to be facing any other problem. :thumbsup:

#6 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:53 AM

Yes, I did consider the reasons why you would have disabled System Restore. There are a number of occasions when it is recommended. Either to remove a virus that is embedded in the _RESTORE folder or to save on system resources are just 2 possible reasons. However, the System Restore feature is such a blessing, not the opposite. For whatever reason you disabled it, I can assure you that it is 100% safe to enable it and follow the instructions I've given. It'd be perfectly fine to enable the feature, use it, then reboot and disable it again with an additional reboot. I understand why you disabled it but using WinME myself, I have it enabled and my system runs with 96% resources which is awesome considering my PC is not brand new and I have a LOT of things on it. And for me personally, I would much rather use this option than using the Recovery disks that many people don't even have, although I do.
If you would like another option other than System Restore, please allow me a bit of time (about half a day) to research this all further for you. I'll do my best. :thumbsup:

#7 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 12:42 PM

It didn't take me as long as I thought it might.

WMIEXE.EXE is a part of your Windows operating system. It is located in the
c:\windows\System folder. If found elsewhere, it's a virus, spyware, trojan or worm.
It's best to disable it unless you are using a webcam since it is a resource hog.
But I can't find anywhere just how to do that. There's a big difference in disabling
something and permanently removing it - which I don't think we should do.

Also, please run MSCONFIG for me. To do this at any time, just click
Start > Run and then type in MSCONFIG. Click on the Startup tab.
Type out the list of entries you see there that have the checkmark in front.
Do not add or remove a checkmark. Just give me that list and then click on Cancel.
I'll go over the list with you. Chances are we can locate a problem here and remove
it easily.

Have you gone into Add/Remove Programs to be sure that there is no entry for
Windows Installer or Microsoft XP Office? I am confused as to why Microsoft XP Office
would be installed on a WinME system from the beginning.

To be sure that WMIEXE.EXE is legit, check to see where it's located. You can check this
easily by Start > Search > Files or Folders and then type in WMIEXE. You don't need to
open whatever it finds, just simply let your cursor touch it so that it is highlighted.
It will give you its location that way.

If it's not located in your System or System32 folder, we need to run HijackThis. You'll
find the link in my signature below. It will have all of the instructions so please read
it carefully. Once you've gotten the log, please post it in the HijackThis Logs and
Analysis forum here at BC. It's the only way for our experts to spot it immediately and
begin working on the problems. They will direct you on what to do.

Please give me your MSCONFIG list in your next reply. Thanks.

#8 yogivarun

yogivarun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 02:19 PM

Texas Angel :

This is tremendous. Such a quick response . Thanks and keep it up.

1. Yes - WINEXE.EXE is located correctly at Windows > System

2. MSCONFIG entries are as below :

ctfmon.exe
McAgent.exe
systemTray
McUpdate.Exe
SRP Startup
VSO Check Task
Virus Scan on line
Tweak UI
McVsRte
Pers FW
BHODemon 2.0

3. Yes I do seem to have "Microsoft Office XP Professional with Front Page" installed as seen thru Add/Remove Programs though not "Windows Installer".But I could not understand your confusion about WIN ME and MS Office.Could you pl explain.

4. To add to the facts already given ; I recollect , and subsequently checked up also , that RESTORE as also PCHealth were removed by me via "System Restore Remover Pro" of Definition Software though I do not remember the date. Ram tweaks were also done following the advive of Thomas McGuire at The PC Enthusiast site.

5. Re WINEXE , I did use an executable file but not to very great success as already informed.If essential I can get the details of the file though may not be able to match your speed.

Could you pl advice.

#9 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 03:10 PM

Whew!
Okay the file is legit so we can move on from here.

I was curious as to why an XP program would be installed on a WinME system. I am guessing you did not purchase the computer brand new a few years ago directly from a store. Perhaps you bought it from a friend. If you do not want the Office Pro on your computer, you can remove it from the Add/Remove Programs.
Windows XP is an entirely different operating system from Windows ME. It would have been impossible for the computer manufacturer to have done such a thing at the time the computer was built. Hope that clears things up for you.

Personally, I would have never disabled or removed PCHealth from the computer. I think that is risky but I haven't checked further into it to provide much more of an opinion than that. The only ME tweaks advice I follow are through BlackViper. His site can be found here. But let me say that there are a number of ways to tweak your system and a variety of opinions as well. The other thing to consider is why your system would need tweaking. Low speeds, slow surfing, little disk space, etc...
That's the thing to consider first is why.

Okay, let's go through your MSCONFIG list...

ctfmon.exe is associated with Windows XP. Was your WindowsME upgraded to Windows XP? You can uncheck this item.

McAgent.exe is from the McAfee online virus scan and is most often associated with
Windows XP. This is your choice to keep the checkmark or not.

systemTray - this one is questionable. You'll have to type out the entire path for this one so I can tell you what it is and what to do.

McUpdate.Exe checks for virus definitions. You can uncheck this one especially since you go to Microsoft Windows Updates regularly.

SRP Startup is what you used to remove System Restore. Up to you to keep it or not. But you don't need to keep it running constantly.

VSO Check Task helps McAfee to run smoothly. Leave it alone.

Virus Scan on line is something I couldn't find. I need the entire path of this one.

Tweak UI is your tweaking utility. It is not necessary to run this constantly in the background. Uncheck it.

McVsRte is vital to keeping your computer running smoothly. Leave it alone.

Pers FW is associated with Norton's Firewall. Almost all firewalls are resource hogs. It's up to you if you wish to keep it running all the time.

BHODemon 2.0 is a program that protects you from bad BHO's. It is not necessary to let this run constantly. Uncheck it.

Let me know what your system resources are before and after you make any changes. It will want you to reboot your computer after any changes so please do that. Before reconnecting to the internet, check your system resources and see if there's a difference.

Then let me know where we stand on things. I've got to run for a while.
I'll check back later on. Good luck.

#10 megaman

megaman

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 05:56 PM

Wow, I take a few days off and come back to find TexasAngel has been a busy little beaver and given u lots of useful help and info. Can't fault whatz been said. Would have taken much the same approach. Prior to XP I used ME for 3 years and found it an excellent OS. some people hate it but my old Athlon 1800 PC found ME most agreeable !.......I will watch this topic with interest

#11 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:54 PM

Thanks, Megaman. With a name like yours, how could I go wrong in keeping you in my corner? :thumbsup:
I am looking forward to hearing back from this member. What a time zone difference, though, between us and them. I hope we get this fixed for them really soon.
Thanks so much for speaking highly of WinME. Any who follow my posts in this thread knows where I stand regarding the topic. :flowers:
Please feel free to interject. The goal is to get our members back to a homeostasis-norm, regardless of who the captain is, :trumpet: .

#12 yogivarun

yogivarun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2005 - 04:42 AM

Texas Angel :

1. system Tray - The details as obtained from Process Explorer are as below :
PATH - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
PID - 0xFFE1F59D

2. Virus Scan on line details as below
PATH - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSSHLD.EXE
PID - 0xFFE215AB

3. would like to give you the details of all McAfee related running programs:
McAfee Security Centre Update Engine : a) PATH - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCUPDATE.EXE (:flowers: PID - 0xFFE3389B
McAfee Virus Scan E-MAIL SCAN MODULE : a) PATH - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVESESCN.EXE (:trumpet: PID - 0xFFE25B83
McAfee Security Centre Agent : a) PATH - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCAGENT.EXE (:thumbsup: PID - 0xFFE151BB
McAfee Virus Scan Real Time Engine : a) PATH - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSRTE.EXE (:inlove: PID - 0xFFE0631B

4. from above it is clear that a total of 5 McAfee related programs are shown running in process explorer.However as far as Virus Check Task is concerned reg which you adviced to continue , I may clarify that the command line shown against this item in msconfig is(exactly reproduced) : "C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCMNHDLR.Exe"/checktask . I do not know why MCMNHDLR not showing in Process Explorer - I am sure you will explain.

5. I do not have Norton but Kerio 2.5.1. I want to run it only while net-surfing and accordingly had disabled its start-up run and was in fact wondering why it is continuing to autostart-completely forgot to check on msconfig.

6. Have deleted a) SRP Startup b)TweakUI c) PersFW on your advice and did try to remove BHODemon but this seems to be repeatedly coming back on its own.this never used to happen earlier but only since yesterday when i removed the earlier version and replaced it with the current version (2.0.0.22)

7.For the time being I do not remove any McAfee program till you study above and give your comments . I had earlier tried removing some of McAff programs but then noted that neither I am being automatically updated nor am i able to unload the updates manually from McAfee site.

Irrespective of the time differences , I amsure with helpers like you around we'll continue coming back.

#13 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2005 - 01:35 PM

Yogivarun

Were you able to check to see if your changes in MSCONFIG made much difference in your system resources? You probably already know how to check them but in case someone is viewing this and doesn't know, all you do is right click on My Computer, select Properties, then the Performance tab. Your goal is to stay above 80% especially if you have dial-up internet. You'll often need that much to get connected and stay connected without interruptions (depending on your ISP settings) and without hanging pages, lag, etc...

Let's go through your latest reply, which I thank you very much for being so patient and helpful.

1. I think this is fine, please leave it alone.
2. McAfee virus scan shield. Leave this one alone.
3. Those are fine.
4. It could be that MCMNHDLR does what it needs to and then closes.

Also, have you tried letting the Installer run? What happens when you try to run an Office program? Is it your intention to remove Office XP or to use it? Do you have the Office XP installation disk? What brand is your computer?
Please click here and here and here to see if those are helpful.

Please review my previous post and let me know the things I am wondering about.

#14 yogivarun

yogivarun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2005 - 04:26 PM

Texas Angel :

1. I give you an idea about my free system resources ;

-these were 56% on my opera browser after being on the net for about 2 hrs at the time I viewed your last post.This was ofcourse with Kerio , McAfee & other usuals running.
-I restarted the system - disabled programs like ctfmon,stimon,wmiexe-without kerio and without all 5 of mcafee -my resources , as viewed on the resource meter , were 96%
-I switched on the kerio-87%
-switched on mcafee also-79%

2. But to add , I do not find much difficuty in browsing uptil free RAM-1MB and Free Page File-3/4MB as normally viewed on my Merijn's Uptimer which I generally keep on while browsing.Incidentally I have fixed up my Page File at 200MB=max=min.

3. Whenever I find my Page File going below 50MB , I switch on my Sysinternals Process Explorer (which I keep on Quick Launch Bar) and remove some of the programs generally found superflous and mentioned above.

4.System resources which you mentioned is ofcourse something different but in my personal experience of browsing thru opera for last 6-8 months and prior to that for a couple of years on IE, I have not felt the need for watch on this. Ofcourse , maybe i have been missing something vital .

4. I did let the Installer run after your advice and ended up with Insert the "Microsoft Office Professional with Front Page" disk and click OK.The disk not being available I cancelled out which brings me back to square one.

5. My intention is to remove the OFFICE but i am not being allowed to do that also.It now appears that , may be , it is my system tweaking which has landed me to this problem.

6. No-I dont have the requisite disk.

7. I am on 70 gH Intel P-4 with 40 GB SAMSUNG HD.

I appreciate the way you have been doggedly pursuing my problem.Texas Angel , is it - it sure looks that way.

#15 megaman

megaman

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:08 PM

Some time ago I worked on a PC using Office XP and Win ME or 98SE. In thinking about it I recall that the computer was running slower than what I would have expected. I removed Office XP and installed Office 97 and the PC performed much better.
Without the CD is the member capable of deleting all references to Office XP from the hard drive and registry. Perhaps this will in some way speed up resources. I also wonder if there is an 'unknown' conflict between some of the 'virus protection etc' type programs he has on the 'puter.
I use Trend I/S and the MS firewall with XP Pro and have not had a problem in 18mths even with plenty of driver downloads, emails and research/surfing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users