Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Address Trying To Access My Computer From 192.168.0.1

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:31 PM

When I start my computer (not web browser just computer) I get a message that someone is trying to access your computer over the internet from 192.168.0.1

I looked up the ip address and it is a company in california I never heard of.

Not sure what to do about this? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:14 PM

I'm not clear on the issue.
Who is issuing the message? Windows firewall? Another firewall? AV? Some other anti-malware application?

192.168.0.1 is most likely your very own router or DSL or Cable modem, I doubt that's in California. most likely it's in your home. And at bootup the router is likely giving you your IP address which the computer requests as it boots.

If some other address is pinging you, well, you can reject the pings in the router or in the firewall.
A bit of system description would help.

Edited by tos226, 05 December 2007 - 04:15 PM.

#3 Martel

Martel

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:08 PM

The message is from "CA Internet Security Suite Copyright 2007 CA. All rights reserved"

Existing computer- Intel celeron cpu 2, 2.4gh, 2.0g ram, radeon 9600, MS Windows Media Center XP2, wireless router, cat 5e cables two other computers on the network -
...the computer in question (thats acting weird), was opening slow and making a clicking noise (for several months), often getting a startup black screen f disk error, ( I would jiggle the box during startup to get windows up), and sometimes it wanting to run chkdsk.

So...I purchased and installed an ide drive, downline from that I plugged my old drive it was already named C: and full, set the jumpers for primary secondary, whatever you call it. Next I loaded XP Media Center Edition on to the new primary drive and named it E: set automatic updates..
Loaded the CA anti virus and quick books program. Oddly my ms paint, wordpad and Outlook Express dissapeared, I reinstalled Outlook Express. Both Wordpad and Paint program dissapered..nowhere to be found.
My old C: is in there and I have everything loaded on E:

So maybe my CA anti everything all rights reserved is blocking me router...?

Edited by Martel, 05 December 2007 - 07:12 PM.

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:55 PM

It does sounds like CA suite is blocking the communication between the router and your PC.
Search their Help file for how to setup local area connection (LAN). Most likely several items will need to be added as 'trusted'.
You will have to allow CA suite to communicate otherwise it's like pulling the cable.

Regarding disappearing applications - well, that's a whole other subject. It doesn't sound too good.
You may want to scan with AV part of the suite or some external program. Or just try to reinstall the lost things.

#5 Martel

Martel

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:01 PM

I think I have found it, the CA Anti Virus help files are a dead end. And to add insult to injury when I sent an e-mail to support I got an answer like "you should be able to change that in settings, that should resolve the issue" but in settings there was no way to allow an ip address. The only info they give is what you already know, then say that should resolve the issue.

On the ghost programs (paint and Wordpad) I am going to reload XP again.

Will I lose everything or can it overlay?

Thanks again for the help :thumbsup:

#6 chelly

chelly

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:11 AM

did you ever find out about the remote address trying to access your computer - because i have the same thing with a slightly different address 192.168.2.3 and i also use ca security. i also traked it to california.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 12:24 PM

192.168.0.1 is most likely your very own router or DSL or Cable modem, I doubt that's in California. most likely it's in your home. And at bootup the router is likely giving you your IP address which the computer requests as it boots.

addresses starting with 192.168.2

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/routers...168_2_1_def.htm
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 Martel

Martel

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:08 PM

The ip address turned out to be my D-Link router.

I allowed that address in my safe zone and all works smoothly. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users