Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp All In One 2355v Installation Hang Up Won't Install

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 simsk8er

simsk8er

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:12 PM

I recently bought an HP all in one PSC 2355v printer off of a friend. The printer did not come with the software, therefore I went to HP.com to of course download the drivers and software. I have Windows XP and I downloaded the file for the 2355v printer for XP. At first before installing the software I had been eager and hooked up the printer through USB which it read the printer and picked up some driver information but then after that I deleted those drivers because instructions were to not plug in the printer before installation. So I cleaned all of that out. Now when I run the installation it stalls at 0% "checking hardware". And if you wait about 15 - 20 minutes an error will pop up and say that there is another installation in progress, well you can hit retry and then it does it all over again.

My first solution was to start in windows safe mode but that as well hung up at 0%.

Second solution was a custom start up, I disabled all of my starting programs and services and then ran the installation this actually took me a step further in which it gave me an error saying I needed some installation thing running and I needed plug and play running well then it also has an automatic fix button, I click on the button and it fixes the installation error but gives me a red x on the plug and play error.

I then do another custom restart and turn on the plug and play, well then I get no error and it just hangs up at 0% again just like before. I had two plug and play options and I tried both of them and just one of each separately .... "PLUG AND PLAY" and I believe "universal plug and play." But every time I turn the plug and play on it hangs up at 0% but if I shut plug and play off it gives me the error that I need plug and play enabled. Which leads me to believe there is a problem that lies in the plug and play. By the way my computer is a Gateway.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:22 PM

Welcome to BC
Try running the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility Also be sure to look in Device Manager and remove it if it shows up in there
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 simsk8er

simsk8er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 01:35 PM

Mark,

Thank you for your reply, I did download Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, and I'm not that familiar with it. But when I ran it, quite a few products came up. And when you say to look in the Device manager, I'm sure you mean to remove an instance of the HP product from the Device manager?

Thank you.

Ryan

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:54 PM

Yes, sorry I wasn;t more specific. As far as the Installer utility, the only one we're concerned about for the moment is Your All-in-one. Then try a reinstall the proper way
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 06 December 2007 - 04:59 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 simsk8er

simsk8er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 05:37 AM

I did find one instance of HP in the Windows Installer cleaner and uninstalled it.

This did not seem to effect the problem that is happening. All though, last night a made it a step further before getting hung up again.

I did another custom restart, I disabled all services and startup programs, except for required ones of course. I then set the plug and play to MANUAL and also had to enable the print spool option. Well this threw me the error at the beginning of the installatioin again, but since I had the plug and play on manual when I clicked the fix button it fixed the problem this time and went on through the installation asking me if I want a full installation and then it fires up and starts installing and then it gets to another step where it gets to the "checking hardware" AGAIN and then just freezes again! Ha, so back to square one ... again. When I enable the plug and play at the beginning of the install I have no way to then disable it and enable it again, I would believe that the plug and play seems to be interfering with my installation? I don't know.

Thank you for your response though. I won't give up!

Ryan

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:30 PM

I would have just deleted the printer (via Device Manager), rebooted...and then plugged in the printer. XP will detect the hardware, ask for the drivers/software...and I would have pointed it to the folder on my system.

It really doesn't matter if XP reflects duplicates for printers, the important thing is to get at least one of the installs correct/properly recognized by XP.

I guess that I don't know why you are fooling with services.

I usually attach a printer...ignore the New Hardware wizard...and then install the drivers later, using the Add Printer option in Control Panel. I can also look at printers installed and delete any which need such.

Louis

#7 simsk8er

simsk8er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:06 AM

Trust me, I did every possible without wanting to mess with the start up services and what not. The problem wasn't with just plugging it in and having the computer recognize it, that was no problem, the problem is then the HP all in one wouldn't run without the software to run it.

I got the problem fixed though :thumbsup:

I found that it must have like I said, had something to do with my plug and play. So I had to set it to manual mode so that way when the setup started it would throw me the error and then it would manually fix the plug and play and then it went through and installed partially but came back to a point where after the plug and play was activated the install hung up again at checking hardware.

Well this time after making it through most of the installation, I rebooted and reactivated all services and then plugged the usb in for the printer and it actually recognized everything and the printer works. Now I just need to get the HP scanner software installed and working!

Thank you guys for your replies!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users