Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search Engine And Search Page

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 12:24 PM

Hello Everybody,

Before I forget everything I ever knew, which is highly likely, I've been out doing some late fall early winter fishing, on the surf.

So I haven't been actively pursueing ways to keep in mind all the little and big lessons I've learned by participarting and posting here in the BC forum.

But, just to show you, not that I want to, how empty my head can get, I have some questions for you concerning the internet and search engines.
First, . . when using a search engine, to locate information on the Internet, one uses key words and activates the search, . . this takes him to a list of documents or files, . . Is that the right term(s), . . Documents and files ?

I have read that the database of most Internet search engines contain, World Wide Web documents (WWW), some also contain items found in Gopher menus and File Transfer Protocol (FTP) file archives I don't know what the last 2 are but I think I know what the WWW means or indicates, and a vague idea of how it is related to http and functions as a browser text technology.

OK, I don't need any of that explained to me, at this moment, But . .

Compiling the database, ( those documents and files found via the search engine ), requires an automated search routine called a spider (forms filled out by Web authors), or a search of other databases of Internet documents.

Second, . . How does a search of other databases of Internet documents., as mentioned above Compile data, ( this does not occur automatically, does it ? )

Thirdly, When I find a reference to a BC post on the internet, how does it get there ? Is there a BC Web author ?

If so what program or tool does he use to do this, I am guessing it is some type of Web Service ?

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:01 AM

Hi Jove,

Rather than answering your questions one by one, I'll refer you to How Search Engines Work, which offers an easy-to-understand explanation.

This one - How-Does-a-Google-Query-Work - is a bit more technical.

You can find some very useful (and some totally unrelated) information in this Web Search FAQ.

Of course, I found these links by using a search engine! :thumbsup:

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:10 AM

Dialer thanks,

More deserved enjoyable reading for me, I will definetly need to catch up on that!

What I was getting at was , trying to satisfy my curiosity about blogs, I am still curious about the web authors of Document Files ? and how it all happens.

I'm sure that most of my questions will be answered in following up your reply.

BR,

Jove

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

#4 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:37 PM

You're most welcome, Jove. If you still have a slew of questions after reading these articles, as well as the sites they might link you to, you might do better to ask them in a webmasters forum. Here are a few:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/
http://www.webmaster-forums.net/
http://www.webmastersforums.net/

Some of these might have additional articles to read. Haven't been there in years, but I recollect that Digital Point does have a lot of info, though I'm not sure how much of it is geared toward beginners. It's always been a highly regarded site and is definitely worth a look-see.

Have fun! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users