Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu At 100% When Multi-tasking

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 XML2005

XML2005

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:48 AM

I have a Dell Dimension desktop with Pentium® 4 CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, 40 GB HD of which 16.5 GB is free, pagefile is set to 700-3072MB.

My CPU often is at 100% when multi-tasking (e.g. running Quicken & Visual Studio at the same time), even though I have lots of free RAM. I verified via HijackThis that I have no malware. I booted to Utility Partition to run all hardware diagnostics. I'm not PC literate enough to know: Does the fact that they all ran ok confirm that my fans and hard drive and battery are working as well as they should, or is further testing required? Might my CPU just be too slow for all the software I am concurrently running? Must I replace it?

I have tried to use SpeedFan, but it's beyond my level of expertise.

Thank you for your help, I've learned so much already by just browsing this website!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:00 AM

More RAM never hurts. Have you tried setting the page file to let Widows adjust for maximum use (or however they word it)?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:15 AM

I'd also consider a HDD upgrade.

#4 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:21 AM

Sorry, I am a hardware ignoramus: What do you mean by a HDD upgrade: faster hard drive (in which case, I would appreciate a recommendation), or larger hard drive?
Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users