Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running Hjt On A Slave Drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:30 AM

Is it possible to run hjt on a slave drive ?
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:19 AM

HJT runs against your system, not an individual hard drive.
If the other hard drive has another operating system (i.e you choose between the two at startup), then you would have to boot into that OS to run HJT
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#3 mz30

mz30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:26 PM

But what if it was a hard drive off another system slaved into a(for instance p.c at repair shop)?
god my head hurts.

Posted Image

#4 williamjohnson

williamjohnson

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:42 PM

HJT looks at the registry. your slave drive does not have a registry unless you have an os on it, in that case boot off of the slave drive os

#5 mz30

mz30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:51 PM

Yes i know what your saying but will the slave boot off an independent machine?
god my head hurts.

Posted Image

#6 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:10 PM

O.K. this is what I just did to run HJT off my slave drive. I downloaded it to my desktop. I opened my slaved drive and cut and pasted HJT into the program files folder on the slave. It worked.
Was this what you were asking?
As far as the slave booting off another computer can't say. I would post that question in hardware were they can kicken it around.
X

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:13 AM

O.K. this is what I just did to run HJT off my slave drive. I downloaded it to my desktop. I opened my slaved drive and cut and pasted HJT into the program files folder on the slave. It worked.

I don't think this is what mz30 was after. HijackThis will run off a slave drive, but the log it produces will be from the registry and running processes of the drive that the machine was booted from.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:53 AM

HJT only considers the running system at the time it is started. For example, at work we'll run HJT in PE Mode without loading the registry. In that case it only shows about 6 entries. Running PE Mode with the registry loaded will increase the number of entries to around 25 or so. Loading the system in Safe Mode will further increase the number of entries - so it appears that HJT will read from the registry that's loaded into memory, rather than from a specific location.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users