Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Small Office Networking Setup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 09:01 AM

I have a friend who's purchasing new computers for her office. She'll have a Windows Server 2003R2 system - along with 3 or 4 Windows XP workstations. There may be the opportunity to add one or two Windows 2000 systems to the network at a later date (reusing the old system). They're currently using a hub to connect the computers, but I'm donating a NetGear FSV318 router to them.

This network will only connect to the internet for updates from the proprietary accounting software program's office - at all other times it will be physically disconnected from the internet.

So, I've got a couple of questions seeing how I've never done this before :flowers:

1) How easy is it to first deny all internet access and then allow only certain systems limited access?
2) Are there any particular procedures that I should follow to avoid any common problems with the installation?
3) Are there any good recommended readings for this (other than studying the entire manual)?

TIA! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 09:39 AM

I wonder if you could use the hub for keeping the local lan working and then use the router to filter mac addresses to stop internet access on all computers or all but the server?

does the server computer have dual ethernet controllers?

Edited by DaChew, 05 December 2007 - 09:41 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:50 PM

I'd use the router as a network boundary to filter out broadcast traffic and serve as the single point of entry for Internet traffic for downloading software updates. The hub could be used to make a star network topology so that the workstations can communicate with one another for file sharing and software publishing purposes.

Since most workstations come with a 10/100 Ethernet adapter installed already, this would give the network 100 Mbps speed on the cheap since 100BASE-T cabling is easy to install and work with giving you good wired LAN speeds for a small office. If the office isn't more than 100 meters in any direction, you shouldn't have to purchase any other hubs or repeaters to connect all workstations and servers - this will save you from having to put in patch panels to connect further segments.

Your server will need to have two NICs so that you can connect it to the Router at the network boundary for accessing the Internet outside and connect to the hub on the internal network.

On some routers, there is a method by which you can set / limit the hours during which the machines can connect to the Internet, i'd look into setting up those hours to occur during business hours only. Maybe give yourself an additional hour before or after business hours for downloading software updates.

Remember that with your cable lengths and runs, you need to factor in about 10-12 additional feet (at each end of the cable) if you are going to run the cabling up to the ceiling, across the ceiling panels, and then back down to the ground again to avoid having the cables on the floor. Many people will forget to do this when looking at a cable plan from bird's eye view and find that their cable length estimates fall short by about 20-24 feet.

Edited by Cyb3r_Ninj@, 13 December 2007 - 12:53 PM.

Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#4 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:06 PM

Here's a good article to read through before you start... helps give some good visuals as well.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457117.aspx
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users