Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Connect To Internet Or Open Certain Files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 1976MKIV

1976MKIV

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:11 AM

My second computer will not connect to the internet. It is running wimdows XP home edition. It just stopped working. I tried searching topics on the net and following some of the instructions. Thats when I found out certain files won't open. For instance, the add/remove programs folder won't open. When I right click My Computer and then click Manage, nothing happens. I also opened the System folder, clicked the Hardware tab, and then when I clicked Devices nothing happened. I'm at a loss as to where to start.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:11 AM

1. Many internet connection problems are caused by corruption of the Winsock settings. You can reset these by doing the following.

Log on as Administrator.
Go to Start > Run and type: "cmd"
Type: "netsh winsock reset"
When it is finished you should receive the following message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset."
Close the command box and reboot.

2. Occasionally, it is worth checking your entire hard drive for errors. To do this, navigate to Start > Run, type in chkdsk /f , then press ok. You will be prompted with the following;

“Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)”

Type “y”, then enter. (The window will close automatically)
Next time you restart your computer, you will notice disk testing occurring before windows starts. This can take between 2-10 minutes) Once completed, a summary screen will be displayed, also indicating number of errors found.

Alternatively, you can double-click "my computer", Right click, then select properties for C: drive, Select the tools tab. Under error checking, select check-now.

#3 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:31 AM

...I tried searching topics on the net and following some of the instructions. Thats when I found out certain files won't open...

What instructions were you following?
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:45 PM

Let's start with...are all critical updates installed, including SP2?

As a basic step, I would run chkdsk on the drive...and defrag it afterwards.

How To Run CHKDSK In XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315265 I suggest ignoring the first technique and moving to the second (running it from My Computer).

Louis

#5 1976MKIV

1976MKIV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:15 PM

I followed the steps by ZBD and everything seems to be back to normal now. I can connect to the internet as well as open any folders.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:28 AM

976MKIV wrote "I followed the steps by ZBD and everything seems to be back to normal now. I can connect to the internet as well as open any folders."

It looks like they got their problem solved which means that it ain't broke no longer.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :thumbsup:

Mod Edit: To remove quote by Mendab1~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 08 December 2007 - 12:05 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users