Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using A Memory Stick With Vista

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Southstreet

Southstreet

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:49 AM

I want to transfer some files from my old machine (XP) to my new one (Vista) using a brand new 1GB memory stick but I cant find where to locate it after I plug it in. I have no trouble finding it in XP in 'My Computer' but I don't see it anywhere in vista. I do hear a little bleep when I plug it in though. Would appreciate any guidance here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:23 AM

hi,,, if you dont get the auto play window, click on start then computer it should be in there,,, btw when you first pluged the flash drive in, did it go through the found new hardware procedure. To set auto play click on start orb then control pannel, then click on auto play, then put a check in the ( use auto play for all media devices ) then set all the devices to ( ask me every time ) and click save at the bottom of the window. Then when you plug anything in or put any media in the disc drive the auto play window will open with a set of options for you to choose from like view files etc,,,
good luck.

Edited by figgis41, 05 December 2007 - 11:27 AM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 Southstreet

Southstreet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 12:32 PM

Hi, thanks for your reply. I didn't go through any found new hardware procedure when I first plugged it in. I did everything else that you suggested with autoplay but still nothing. It's just a USB device that hangs on a keyring. I bought for 20 bucks, it came in a blister pack with no instructions. The guy at the shop said it holds as much as 150 floppy discs.!!... when i went back to ask him how to use it he looked at me like I was asking if I could sleep with his wife or something...he was very unhelpful indeed, so I haven't been back.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:55 AM

Open Windows Explorer and check for the device under Computer - it should show up there as a separate drive letter or two (if it's a U3 capable drive).

If it's not located there - then go to Disk Management (Go to Start and type in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter) - see if you can locate it in the top pane - and scroll down in the bottom pane to see what it says about the drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:21 AM

hi,,,, if what John has surgested dose'nt work, then it is not finding the hardware for some reason, could it be the usb port,,, try it in another port,, then try something else with a usb connection on it that you know works & see if it finds that device,, if not go to device manager,,, just type it in to the search window under all programs in start menu, when your in device manager look near the bottom for universal serial buss controlers ( usb ) click on the + sign & see if any are in yellow or have a red X next to it,,, if so then right click on it & disable then reboot your pc this will auto reset it on startup,,,,,,,, good luck

Edited by figgis41, 06 December 2007 - 10:41 AM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

#6 bigmick01

bigmick01

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:28 AM

Bit late bit hope this helps .. had to download and install drivers for a memory stick!!
Thought they were all plug abd play .. damned Vista!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users