Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unplugged & Moved Computer -- Now It Won't Turn On

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 BikePsycho

BikePsycho

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:04 AM

Hello. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I have an older model HP Pavilion 521N -- I bought it new in 99 or 2000. It has an AMD processor, half a GB of RAM, etc. etc. It has been a very reliable machine for many years. It runs on Windows XP Home.

Yesterday I moved it to a new desk. To accomplish this, I shut it down, disconnected all peripherals and power cord, moved it to the new desk, then reconnected the peripherals and power cord. (A small green light on the back, next to the power cord plug, began glowing when I plugged it in. But the comptuer will not turn on via the front-panel switch.

The manual said to unconnect, then reconnect everything. I did. No go.

The manual said to check another appliance in the outlet. I did and it worked. I replugged the computer in the outlet; it still will not turn on.

Is there anything I should try next before I haul it down to the computer repair shop?

Thanks for listening.

Edited by BikePsycho, 05 December 2007 - 02:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:29 AM

Is the power cord firmly seated in the PSU?

Is the switch on the PSU set to on?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:36 AM

you unplugged all the power cords coming from the psu to the motherboard, and drives and then reconnected them correct?

#4 frankblourtango

frankblourtango

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:41 AM

It may cost more to repair that thing than it is worth. Do you see a fan running on the back of the computer inside the power supply? ( Near the power cord )

#5 KCabral06

KCabral06

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:56 AM

your motherboard should have little tiny cables that connect directly to your motherboard, the PWR cable might've been disrupted and may have come loose, losing functionality of the power button in the front panel, make sure you check that to see if thats ok. next as the previous thread said are there any fans at all running in the case showing any sort of power. I believe this is a problem that you dont need to pay any dollar for you just need to play around some more, its a common problem once moving around a case.

see what u can get for an update and repost on the forum,

thanks

#6 BikePsycho

BikePsycho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:38 AM

Thanks for your replies and help.

The power cord is firmly seated in the PSU.

I cannot see any PSU switch anywhere.

The PSU fan is NOT turning. But a small green light on the back of the computer that's part of the PSU is lighted. I can also hear a very faint hum from the PSU. (No other fans are turning, either).

I have disconnected and reconnected the plug from the switch to the motherboard.

I have disconnected and reconnected several other plugs to the drives; however the plug on the motherboard that brings the power from the PSU is really hard to get to. It is seated firmly in place.

#7 KCabral06

KCabral06

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:07 AM

Definetly soudns like a PSU problem then.

I would definetly want to make it 100 % sure though before you go out and get it looked like and then u pay 89.00 dollars to get it looked at and find out something u should already know.

GET RID of allll peripherals first just leave PSU installed, if you have another computer in your home switch out the power supplys and test that one with ur new computer.

U dont need the front panel to turn on ur computer there should be a button on ur MOBO that turns it on.

That power connector that you "cant" get to because it is firmly in place is key to figuring out if this realy is a PSU problem. Find a way to that power connector and remove it and reset it back into place firmly. If there's a way to connect it to the motherboard there's always a way to disconnect it from the MOBO.

but from whats going on i would definetly assume a PSU problem.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:15 AM

If you have a DC voltmeter take one of the free molex connectors and read the voltage there, if there is no power it could be the PSU. To find out if it is a motherboard problem you can remove the PSU 20/4 pin connector from the motherboard with the PSU unplugged from the wall, you will need to place a jumper between the socket of the green wire and any black wire, this replaces the motherboard starting function, plug the PSU back in and take a volt meter and read the different rail voltages.

This page will show the color codes and associated voltages, the twenty pin connect is on the first page, the twenty four pin connector can be seen by using the link at the bottom of the page.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:10 AM

The HP power supplies have an LED inside of them that tells you whether the power supply is good or not. There is a chance it is not working correctly but if the LED is working, it is then usually the motherboard or bad RAM.

If you can open then case, can you see if there is an LED lit on the motherboard? There is usually a small green one, for standby power.

DR

#10 frankblourtango

frankblourtango

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:02 AM

That power supply is toast. You should get a new computer and use the drive from the broken one as a data drive. Get all your data from it. Make a hamster cage out of the old HP box.

#11 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:45 AM

hi ,,, this might sound silly, but we use to have a HP pc of about the same age at work & 1 day it would not turn on,,, the power leads were fine and power was going in, but still could'nt turn it on,,, i took the front cover off & noticed that the button that you push for on and off was missing a little switch behind it, i pushed the little switch with the end of a pen & on it came,,,, just a thought
good luck

Edited by figgis41, 06 December 2007 - 11:46 AM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:23 PM

Aside from not working correctly at the moment. If the computer still does what you intended it to do when you bought it then there is no need to upgrade it.

Edit: Bleeping Spelling

Edited by Sneakycyber, 06 December 2007 - 07:23 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:17 PM

That power supply is toast. You should get a new computer and use the drive from the broken one as a data drive. Get all your data from it. Make a hamster cage out of the old HP box.

Unless you have been there to test the PSU or are privy to information that we are not your suggestion is premature. And to suggest that they save the hdd and trash the rest rather than replace the PSU if it is bad is ludicrous.

#14 frankblourtango

frankblourtango

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:03 AM

Ludicrous? I hope I didn't make you spit milk out of your nose.

If the fan isn't running, the power supply is BAD. The 12 volt DC is gone. Now the hard part is going to be deciding how much money you want to throw at a 7 year old HP... without doing something ludicrous.

Edited by frankblourtango, 07 December 2007 - 10:18 AM.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:55 AM

It could well be the PSU, but without testing by momentarily shorting the green wire and a black wire you will not know if the problem is actually with the motherboard or the PSU. If it is the PSU you can purchase a replacement for about $21.00 including shipping from Newegg.

A seven year old machine by industry standards is old, true, but what if this is what they can or want to afford.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users