Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection Limit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JazzButcher

JazzButcher

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:54 AM

Hello everyone. I have a superiorly frustrating problem that i severely need help with. Can anyone please lend me a hand? I would be so grateful.

I am a pretty ignorant user when it comes to stuff like this. I have a windows XP system and a windows 98 (my favourite, haha) system running together. Ive got them set up so that I can access my files on my 98 from the XP.

All of the sudden, I can only open one connection when im accessing the files on the 98 system from the XP. I can no longer listen to a song that is coming from the 98 while browsing its files - i can only do one or the other.

I used to be able to connect as many times as I wanted. I could listen to 1000000 songs and burn 2983454 cds while watching a video clip and saving a word document. It didnt matter. Now its limited to 1, and this is seriously bugging me.

Could anyone please help me out? Should i do something with the registry on the 98 system? I am sorry but im not very good with this kind of thing. Not very good at all.

Below is some stuff that might be helpful in solving this mystery.

*"No more connections can be made to this remote computer at this time because there are already as many connections as the computer can accept." is the error message when i try to access more than one file at a time.
*I am running through a linksys router.
*I recently got a zune and installed the software ONLY ON MY XP system. I also tweaked the registry on my XP so that I could use the zune as a mass storage device, but I changed the registry back to the way it was supposed to be. I did not have a connection problem like this when i first installed the zune software or tweaked the xp registry.
*I love my 98 system and the network configuration and would do anything to get it back to the way it was.
*I have never touched the registry of the 98 system, nor have i installed anything on it within the last month that might have changed the connection limit.
*I am very confused, haha.

THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH FOR ANY AND ALL HELP
I sincerely appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:47 PM

I found an article about you error but not specifically your exact problem http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314882 But I think the solution applys to your situation. It lies within Autodisconnect.
I might be off-base but it's worth a shot
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:04 PM

Have you tried resetting the linksys router yet?

Shut down both systems
Unplug the power from you high speed modem & the router.
On the back of the Linksys router there is a little red reset button. I think it is on the left.
Use an ink pen to push and hold the button while counting to 30
Plug the router back in & then the high speed connection. Give them a few minutes to initialize
Start up both systems & try it

Might be worth a shot. I have seen strange things with Linksys routers on occasion & that is how I fixed it.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:27 PM

Fixed that exact issue today
Have you tried it yet?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 JazzButcher

JazzButcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:53 PM

thanks for the replies, everyone :thumbsup:
i havent tried either method yet, but i will definitely look into it tonight after work.
ive reset the router just by unplugging the power source, but have not used the reset button.
but yeah, ive seen strange things with linksys routers as well although they have never been fixed, lol.
i know that on mine, 2 ports are inoperable and i cant figure out why, but thats not the problem here!
haha thanks for the help, guys.

#6 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:57 PM

I wonder if he fixed his problem. I wish people would report back and let us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users