Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Login Restart

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DemonicReaper

DemonicReaper

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 12:59 AM

When i log into my xp profile a (run) black box comes down and automatically shuts down my computer. The only reason i got around it was ctrl+alt+delete and hitting end task a bunch of times before the "run" could innitiate the shut down. Something in my Windows folder directory is probably infected but i have no clue on what so i need some help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:14 AM

OK, it does sound like a virus. Can you logon to your computer using safe mode?
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#3 DemonicReaper

DemonicReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 09:55 AM

I found the problem an infected exe that got into my windows folder, i just removed it and everything was good. think the file was called h0sts.exe. So if anyone gets something similiar to me look for h0sts.exe in there WINDOWS directory and delete it.

#4 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:21 AM

I'd advise you to run a full anti-virus scan\anti-malware scan to make sure that deleting the file got rid of everything.
What anti-virus\anti-malware software are you running?
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#5 DemonicReaper

DemonicReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:37 PM

I did i am clean, i used mcafee virus scanner.

#6 DemonicReaper

DemonicReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:34 PM

*Updated issue unresolved* I thought i fixed the problem but it is still there i cannot login to xp, everytime i do something automatically clicks on the shutdown.exe and my com. shuts down. so i tried something i deleted the shutdown.exe and my computer did not shutdown but the thing that comes up initiating it does so people please help me o nthis i have some pics.

Box that comes up initiating shutdown.exe Posted Image

Process list while previous bot thing was running Posted Image

Somehow a bat or an exe got into my system directories and automatically runs that stupid commmand that will shut down your com. I need to find the bat or exe. responsible and delete.

Edited by DemonicReaper, 07 December 2007 - 10:22 PM.

#7 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:43 PM

How many times have I recommended a clean install...

Return to factory specs & download Microsoft Updates,etc. when viruses attack like this...

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,808 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:19 AM

If you can get into safe mode run your scans there, safe mode has a limited amount of applications running which makes it ideal for trouble shooting.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:01 AM

Removing the shutdown.exe file has stopped the problem from running - but that's why you get the command prompt box popping up (since it can't locate shutdown.exe).

In other words, you're still infected. I'd suspect that the virus has corrupted your McAfee program and that you'll need to use other tools to remove this infection.

So, to start with, try running these free, online scans:
http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

If you can get them to work in Safe Mode with Networking Support that'd be even better - but use regular mode if you have to.

If that doesn't help, then I'd have to suggest a trip to this forum for more detailed assistance: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users