Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore Point Not Working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 afritz01

afritz01

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:26 PM

I used the HJT forum to remove a bunch of malware I had. Now my windows restore point does not work. When I try to open it I get the message: System error. System restore needs to close. Would you like to send Microsoft......

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 09:00 PM

First thing to look at
System Restore Troubleshooter
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:18 AM

If after checking first with the official troubleshooting methods you're still having trouble, you may also want to have a look at this thread:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/119549/system-restore-s-not-able-to-protect-your-computer/

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#4 afritz01

afritz01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 09:47 PM

I tried everything in the links you advised to. It still shuts the restore point option down. (even in safe mode)

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:26 PM

Try SFC/scannow
Start/Run and type cmd/OK
sfc /scannow
It will prompt you for the XP CD if it finds a problem. If you don't have a XP CD:

"To fix the problem when you only have a restore CD you'll have to search for a folder on your hard drive (or on the restore CD) that's named "i386" (without the quotes). Once you find that, copy it to your hard drive at the root (C:\i386). Make sure that the directory is located at the root of your C: drive (C:\i386) - if not, then you'll need to change the path to the proper entry in the registry edit.

Then perform this registry edit to point SFC.EXE at it:
So, the first step is to backup your registry.

Next, go to Start...Run...and type in "regedit.exe" (without the quotes) and press enter. You'll see a folder-like view on the left, and entries on the right.

Navigate down the folder view on the left to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Setup Just click on the + sign to expand the view of the next level - so, to start, you'll click on the + next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and look for the SOFTWARE entry.

Then you'll click on the + next to SOFTWARE and look for Microsoft, and so on (through the Windows and CurrentVersion keys) until you get to the Setup key. Then just click once on the Setup key.

Look in the right hand pane and double click on the entry that says "SourcePath".
In the box that pops up, type in "C:\" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Then close regedit and reboot your computer. SFC.EXE /SCANNOW should now run without problems for you.

Mark

Edited by garmanma, 05 December 2007 - 10:30 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 afritz01

afritz01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:11 PM

I do not have a folder address: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Setup . Please see attached screen shot.

Attached Files

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:25 PM

From your attachment, either your registry has been completely hosed, or this wasn't the correct key. In my new install of XP there's 20 or 30 entries under CurrentVersion.

Seeing the "System" directly under the keys that you've highlighted leads me to suspect that you're actually at:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Windows\CurrentVersion
and not at:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

But, since my XP install is so new, I can't be sure (enabling the Status Bar in the View menu would have shown that info).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 afritz01

afritz01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:00 PM

You were correct and I was not at the right folder. I went to the the right folder and SourcePath was already set for C:\. I did redo the the SourcePath and restart my computer. I still have the same problems.

It tells me I am trying to run a DLL as an App and needs to close when I try to open the properties of System restore.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:05 AM

I haven't worked with SFC.EXE in quite a while, but here's a post about it (with a lot of comments) that may help: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users