Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

100% Cpu Not A Software Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stu G

Stu G

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:33 PM

Hi all

Unit in question is LAPTOP Compaq Evo N410c

Basic Specs are :1200mhz , 127mhz, 512mb,XP Home

The problem is that any action from a right click to opening an application will take up full resources in CPU 100% CPU during load, after initial load or task complete(idle cpu) the system sits fine with System Idle Process with no extensive use of cpu.

The problem seems during the loading of any application. Firefox,Word to name a few when loading will take full cpu time and this is really slowing the laptop down, which in my experience should not be the case for even this laptop spec. I am certain it is not a malware/adware/spyware or any type of software problem as I have monitored all active service/process and have ran in safe mode and auto updates are disabled and restore is off. It is as if CPU is looking or resources to load any program into memory, could this be a CPU problem? To reiterate the CPU is at 100% during the load of any action, then after load is fine until next action.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Stu G
Ada95,Java,C ANSI,C++,C♯,ASP.NET,JavaFX!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:54 PM

how big is the HDD, and whats the current amount of free space?

#3 Stu G

Stu G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:58 PM

HDD Size : 37gb
Free Space : 32gb
Stu G

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:17 PM

laptop with power saving mode that clocks back the cpu, only 16 megs of video memory, unless this 100% load lasts a long time then I wouldn't worry about it

I would try to adjust for best performance and minimize the video effects/appearance

16 megs is the minimum video memory for xp
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 Stu G

Stu G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:17 PM

Disabled power save mode and visual effect were already set for highest performance. I did upgrade BIOS flash and updated Graphics display driver too. There does seem to be a difference now, cpu is not sitting @ 100% for firefox during loads and only for a few seconds when opening applications i.e Word.

Thanks
Stu G

#6 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:29 PM

good, sounds like problem solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users