Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfer Of Applications

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wenasoga

wenasoga

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:10 PM

What is the best method of transferring applications from one hard drive to another using Windows XP Home Edition? I don't want to clone the entire drive, but it would sure be a time saver to be able to copy some apps to the new drive. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:17 PM

If your talking about apps already installed, copying them to another hard drive maybe a problem since the apps wrote entries into the registry which ain't going with them to the other drive. Meaning they may not work.
X

#3 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:53 PM

As CTH_Tom said, unless is was a standalone executable you're probably not going to get much success. I googled this:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/ApplicationMover.html
but I've never tried it, so if you try it use at your own risk.

btw if you are thinking of doing this because you are running out of HD space, another option is to make your "My Documents" folder on a separate slave drive. I've done this myself with no trouble.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users