Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot: Registry Entry Changed--allow Or Deny?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nil Desperandum

Nil Desperandum

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:14 PM

Hello, all. I discovered this forum when searching Google for a solution to a minor problem I'm having with Spybot Search & Destroy--it shows me a screen saying, "Spybot - Search &
Destroy has detected an important registry entry that has been changed", followed by "Category: System Startup global entry; Change: Value deleted; Entry: Symantec PIF AlertEng; Old data: <a long string beginning with 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\' "

It asks me whether to "Allow change" or "Deny change," and I don't know which I should do, or why.

It has also occurred to me that I might, perhaps, inquire here about how to get a blog started (with various features I might want), if this is the right place to ask. But one problem at a time.

Hi again.

Nil Desperandum

P.S. I already had Symantec's Norton AntiVirus program on my computer when I downloaded Spybot Search & Destroy from something like Safe-Network.

P.P.S. I haven't yet hit either "Allow" or "Deny."

Edited by Nil Desperandum, 04 December 2007 - 05:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:23 PM

Hi,

I am far from being an expert on this, but since you're waiting for a reply....

Have you recently installed a new program? If it was Spybot, maybe that's what the registry change is for. Installing a new app is usually when a registry change is made. What I do under those circumstances is click the "allow" along with checking the "remember this" box.

Otherwise, I'd recommed you click "deny" and the "remember this" box (if that's an option under "deny"). It's always best to make a registry backup before installing anything new.

Maybe someone who knows more (not difficult) than I do will come by soon.

#3 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:31 PM

Forgot to mention that you made the download from the developer's site, so that's good. :thumbsup:

Also, I suggest you start a new thread in the General Discussion forum about starting a blog.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:13 PM

With Spybot's TeaTimer, whenever there is a registry change to the system, it pops up a notification to allow or deny. If you selected deny change but keep getting the alert, then something is attempting to alter the registry and the pop-up notifications will continue.

There is no way to keep those pop-up notifications from being issued if an actual registry change is made. However, you may be able to eliminate many of the pop-ups if you are getting at lot of them at system startup.

TeaTimer takes snapshots of Registry entries and compares these with the Registry at startup. Until these snapshots are updated you are likely to get pop-ups (primarily at startup) of changes you made in the past. In other words, TeaTimer attempts to return the Registry to the state it was in when the snapshot was taken. To refresh TeaTimer's snapshot files:

Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
TeaTimer closes.
TeaTimer's snapshot files are refreshed at this time.

Restart TeaTimer:
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

forums.spybot.info
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Nil Desperandum

Nil Desperandum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2007 - 09:57 PM

(1) What is a registry?

(2) What is a registry change of the "value deleted" sort?

(3) Is the registry change being made by a Symantec program or by Spybot or by something else?

(4) What would pressing "allow" do?

(5) What would pressing "deny" do?

(6) Does it matter which I press, as long as I also check the "remember" box?

Nil Desperandum

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:59 PM

Understanding the Registry
Demystifying the Windows Registry

In your case a registry value was changed by Symantec possibly due to an update. Per the Spybot Team, there is no way to keep those pop-up notifications from being issued if an actual registry change is made. When you know a change has been made you can allow it. If you select deny but keep getting the alert, then follow the instructions they provided.

#7 Nil Desperandum

Nil Desperandum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 12:32 PM

(1) What is a registry?

(2) What is a registry change of the "value deleted" sort?

(3) Is the registry change being made by a Symantec program or by Spybot or by something else?

(4) What would pressing "allow" do?

(5) What would pressing "deny" do?

(6) Does it matter which I press, as long as I also check the "remember" box?

Nil Desperandum

OK, I have some small idea of what a registry is now. And I gather the registry change was made by Symantec, although I'm not positive. That leaves questions (2), (4), (5), and (6).

I *still* haven't hit "allow" or "deny." That screen is still open on my computer.

Nil Desperandum

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 12:55 PM

The update/change by Symantec deleted an old registry value related to Symantec PIF AlertEng which Spybot detected. When enabled, TeaTimer constantly runs on your computer in the background and notifies you of any changes to system settings on your computer before they are allowed to happen. Choosing allow permits the change. Choosing deny does not permit the changes. So you have to choose one or the other and Spybot should remember your selection.

Using Spybot S&D .
TeaTimer, SDHelper.
Spybot S&D Features explained

#9 Nil Desperandum

Nil Desperandum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:10 PM

The update/change by Symantec deleted an old registry value related to Symantec PIF AlertEng which Spybot detected. When enabled, TeaTimer constantly runs on your computer in the background and notifies you of any changes to system settings on your computer before they are allowed to happen. Choosing allow permits the change. Choosing deny does not permit the changes. So you have to choose one or the other and Spybot should remember your selection.

Using Spybot S&D .
TeaTimer, SDHelper.
Spybot S&D Features explained

Ah, I see. Thank you.

Nil Desperandum

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •