Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Sharing Folder

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:41 PM

In the My Documents folder on my PC I have a folder called "My Sharing Folder", it appeared when I installed something a while back and I deleted it but it returns each time on reboot. In the end I just left it and as there was nothing in the folder it was of no consequence. However yesterday I inadvertently put some music files I had downloaded into it by mistake. I thought it was just a simple cut and paste to move the files to the proper location but when I right click them I do not get the cut option, all it seems I can do is move them to the location via "Send To" as shortcuts while the files remain in the My Sharing Folder.
I deleted the folder once again but when I rebooted my PC earlier this evening it had returned and the files in it as well. I don't like having a folder on my PC of which I have no control over. Can anyone advise me how to delete these files and or delete the folder if possible.
Many thanks in advance.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:25 PM

Right click My Computer -> Select 'Manage'.

Choose 'Shared Folders'.

On the list expand shared folders and select the 'Shares' folder.

To disable any share you are not using right click on the shared folder and choose 'Stop Sharing' as in the image below.

To totally remove follow instructions here
http://www.petri.co.il/
Keep in mind, this is a registry edit so normal warnings apply- back up the registry first
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:41 PM

Was the program you installed Windows Live Messenger? The newest version has a folder associated with it and the folder is-no surprise here-My Sharing Folders. "The new Windows Live Messenger features the new My Sharing Folders which enables you to share files with your contacts.
Even if you're not using it and the feature is being turned off, you will still see the "My Sharing Folders" icon in your My Computer and Explorer."

This is a completely different folder from SHARED FOLDER mentioned by Garmanma.

To remove the My Sharing Folders from My Computer and Explorer...

First, you need to check what version of Windows Live Messenger are you using.
Run Windows Live Messenger, go to Help -> About Messenger.

Paste the command line below to Start -> Run and click on OK button
regsvr32 -u "%PROGRAMFILES%\MSN Messenger\fsshext.8.0.0812.00.dll

If you got it right, you'll get a confirmation box saying "DllUnregisterServer in C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\fsshext.8.0.0812.00.dll succeeded."

Important Note: If you have other versions of Windows Live Messenger such as 8.0.0787.00, you'll need to change the command line in order to successfully unregister the fsshext dll. For example, if you have version 8.0.0787.00, the end of your command line would be fsshext.8.0.0787.00.dll instead of fsshext.8.0.0812.00.dll

Edited by Queen-Evie, 04 December 2007 - 08:44 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:47 PM

Thanks for catching that
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:45 AM

That's right Queen Evie it was when I upgraded to WLM that this folder appeared. I have nothing in particular against the folder but would like to know if possible how to delete the contents.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:38 AM

I just did an experiment with My Sharing Folder on my pc.
Highlighting a file inside the folder and choosing delete from the left side of the page didn't work.
I was able to drag it from the folder and drop it in the recycle bin.

Try drag and drop-drop it to where ever you want to.

Another method-highlight the files.
From File and Folder Tasks on the left side of the page, choose Move this folder.
Move to anyplace you choose. If you want to delete the file(s), move them to your desktop.
From there put them in the recycle bin.

The only way I can find to get rid of the folder completely is by following the instructions in my post above.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 05 December 2007 - 11:44 AM.

#7 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:41 AM

In Windows Live Messenger: (You'll need to be signed in)
Tools -> Options (May need to press ALT+T to get the tools menu)
Click Sharing folders on the left
For each contact on the right, click their name and click remove.
Then untick the tick boxes at the bottom and top of the page and click OK

If you want to get rid of the icon for My Shared Folders afterwards, follow Queen-Evie's solution

EDIT: Should have said: This will delete the contents of the shared folders safely

Edited by tswsl1989, 05 December 2007 - 11:42 AM.

Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 12:54 PM

Thank you for the info tswsl1989.

It didn't occur to me to check Options in the messenger, I don't use the sharing folders feature.

Between the two of us, bluesjunior should be able to delete the files.

#9 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:11 PM

Thanks a whole lot you guys, much appreciated help.

#10 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 01:20 PM

Another link that might help out:

http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/51/1...y-Computer.html
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users