Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Profile Desktop Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:38 PM

I am a Systems Tech for a medium sized network and a user, who is running XP pro SPk 2, has lost all of her documents and links on her desktop. I first right clicked on her desktop and made sure the "Show Desktop Icons" is checked under "Arrange Icons by"...which it is.

When I look at her Desktop folder through Windows Explorer, her links and documents are indeed still there. I tried dragging them to the actual desktop and it wouldn't work. I backed up the documents from her Desktop folder and deleted them all and then readded them....still they do not show up on her Desktop.

I created a Word document and saved it to the Desktop, but it isn't visible on her actual Desktop but it is in her Desktop folder.

It seems to be the same with her My Documents folder. When I click on Start -> My Documents the folder is empty, but everything appears to be there within the My Documents folder when I look at it through Windows Explorer.

She has been having problems all week with different problems, so I did an XP repair for her system, but the problem still seems to be there.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what I should be looking at?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:56 PM

I just discovered something. When I log in as this user and I save things to the Desktop, it winds up in a Desktop folder on the C: drive. When I try to delete the Desktop folder on the C: drive, I get a message that "Desktop" is a systems folder and should not be removed.

When I try to drag items to the visual desktop, I get a message that says "Source and destination folder do not match"

Anyone have any suggestions

#3 frankblourtango

frankblourtango

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:21 PM

I have had things like that happen doing an AD migration.

You might want to just rename her old profile while logged in as system admin. Then make her a new profile and copy all of her data from the renamed one.

#4 1101doc

1101doc

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:18 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151
Neurons that fire together, wire together.
posted with Opera

#5 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:37 AM

I'm presuming that the user in question is logging into a domain, not the local machine.
If not, DON'T follow these instructions.

On the problem computer, open the System part of Control Panel (Win+Pause/Break is the shortcut)
Advanced tab
Click User Profiles (might take a while to load, if so, go get a coffee)
Check that the Profile in question says Remote
If it says local, double click it and try to change it back.
If you can't, make sure you have a copy of all the data on the server, then delete the local version

If they are a local user, then it's probably best to backup all their data and recreate the profile.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users