I'm a newbie and here's my issue:
I recently discovered that my husband's computer (Windows XP Home Edition) had viruses, spyware, and ad-ware in every form. I've never seen a computer as infected in my entire life. So I did what anyone would do. I whipped out my (very old, yet only) copy of Norton Antivirus and went to work. I ran Ad-Aware, Spybot, and other C-Net recommended programs. When it was all said and done with, we had gotten rid of over 300 infections of all sorts. After doing all of that, new notifications from Norton would find things here and there. They would be cleaned or quaratined. I thought we were fine.
1. Out of no where, the Start Menu and entire taskbar became unusable with the mouse. I got around it by using the windows key and the arrows to navigate. This mysteriously fixed itself.
2. Then, the sound stopped working. I looked into "Device Manager" and every sound card had an exclamation point. I tried updating. Windows said I had the most updated version. I tried rolling back. Windows said there were no previous drivers to roll back to. I tried uninstalling and rebooting. They reinstalled corrupted again. This has not fixed itself. Windows update did nothing as well.
3. The other day, I tried fixing the sound problem. I first decided to run another full scan on Norton...this time it found "svchost.exe" and quarantined it. I was shocked because I know this is an important system executable. Yet, there were still six svchost.exe processes running after I deleted it altogether from the quarantine. I took it as it was a malicious version of that system file.
4. Meanwhile, the USB mouse, USB keyboard, stops working. I switch the keyboard and mouse out with my "ol skool" ones and they work fine. I find out that NONE of the USB ports are working.
5. To top it all off, I lost the internet connection in the middle of doing all of this stuff. Not just the connection, but when I did an "ipconfig" through the command prompt. I got ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, but the words "Windows IP Configuration". No IP addresses, no gateway IPs, no subnet mask, zip.
I don't know what to do with all of these things failing and fading away one by one. Is it just corrupt driver issues? How do I fix this?