Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Disaster: Corrupt Drivers?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 phillyladykeys

phillyladykeys

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:19 PM

Hello Everyone,

I'm a newbie and here's my issue:

I recently discovered that my husband's computer (Windows XP Home Edition) had viruses, spyware, and ad-ware in every form. I've never seen a computer as infected in my entire life. So I did what anyone would do. I whipped out my (very old, yet only) copy of Norton Antivirus and went to work. I ran Ad-Aware, Spybot, and other C-Net recommended programs. When it was all said and done with, we had gotten rid of over 300 infections of all sorts. After doing all of that, new notifications from Norton would find things here and there. They would be cleaned or quaratined. I thought we were fine.

1. Out of no where, the Start Menu and entire taskbar became unusable with the mouse. I got around it by using the windows key and the arrows to navigate. This mysteriously fixed itself.

2. Then, the sound stopped working. I looked into "Device Manager" and every sound card had an exclamation point. I tried updating. Windows said I had the most updated version. I tried rolling back. Windows said there were no previous drivers to roll back to. I tried uninstalling and rebooting. They reinstalled corrupted again. This has not fixed itself. Windows update did nothing as well.

3. The other day, I tried fixing the sound problem. I first decided to run another full scan on Norton...this time it found "svchost.exe" and quarantined it. I was shocked because I know this is an important system executable. Yet, there were still six svchost.exe processes running after I deleted it altogether from the quarantine. I took it as it was a malicious version of that system file.

4. Meanwhile, the USB mouse, USB keyboard, stops working. I switch the keyboard and mouse out with my "ol skool" ones and they work fine. I find out that NONE of the USB ports are working.

5. To top it all off, I lost the internet connection in the middle of doing all of this stuff. Not just the connection, but when I did an "ipconfig" through the command prompt. I got ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, but the words "Windows IP Configuration". No IP addresses, no gateway IPs, no subnet mask, zip.

I don't know what to do with all of these things failing and fading away one by one. Is it just corrupt driver issues? How do I fix this? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:25 PM

:flowers: To Bleeping Computer

My suggestion would be to go to THIS section of the forum and read this post first. The hijack this team will be able to determine if you still have Malware, viruses, and or Adware still infecting the computer. Please be patient with the team they are very busy. After they clear you we can help you get your computer back in working order :thumbsup: .

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 phillyladykeys

phillyladykeys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:13 PM

Thanx hun!