Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg 7.5 Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chemed

chemed

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:06 AM

I just got a laptop that is about a year old (lenovo thinkpad t61). good processor/RAM, runs windows XP professional.

I'm trying to make the thing secure. First thing I did was download Firefox and make it my default browser.

However...
Every once in awhile (1-2 times/day) Internet explorer tries to open a window with ads. I downloaded AVG free edition and ran a scan. It found some problems and said that it fixed them. Now, IE opens that warning window that pops up when you use IE for the first time, something about "viewing pages on the internet might not be secure, do you wish to continue?". If I click "no", nothing happens. If I click "yes", nothing happens.

Its really just annoying.

I guess my question is, should I spend the $50 + to upgrade AVG to the internet security suite, or get something else?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm pretty new at this and trying to learn!

thanks for the help!

-Chemed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:56 PM

First I would run a scan with SUPERAntiSpyware from Safe Mode
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
Use the free Home version. See what it finds and quarantine them. It may be just that you need to supplement your protection,since no one item does get it all.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 chemed

chemed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:21 PM

I ended up just running AVG 7.5 with AdAware and everything seems to be running just fine. No more issues.
I used what it found and went to registry to clean them out for good.

thanks!

-chemed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users