Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Or Powerline Home Networking (using The Electricity Mains)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Yorkie

Yorkie

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:03 AM

Hi,

Me and my friends have moved house into a traditional terraced house with a bedroom in the attic and we are in the process of getting broadband.

My question is which is the best method to supply broadband around the house as I heard so many people who have wireless complain that the reception for it is poor and that to get a good signal that you have to be right next to the wireless router.

I've heard about the Powerline Home Networking solution where you use the electricity mains to create a network around the house and that this can provide good reliable bandwidth when using the internet.

If any one has any suggestions on this matter please feel free to contribute.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:41 PM

A wireless router should do well and if somewhere around the house there is no good signal u can use a range and signal booster very simply.
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

#3 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:01 PM

If you have the funds, there are a few options that are available to you:

You can either attempt to boost the signal at the Wireless Router (AP) by purchasing a larger omnidirectional antenna. You can use a separate device called a Wireless Signal Booster or Repeater. Or you can invest in a higher-strength Wireless NIC card for your desktop / laptop computer.

Most 802.11g rated routers are sufficient to connect any device inside the home even through the walls inside the house. Wireless-n rated routers will push out a stronger signal, but the signal strength will extend beyond the walls of your home - this will leave your wireless router open to discovery by people outside of your home.

I would suggest getting a g-rated router and getting a n-rated wireless NIC adapter. This will allow your computers inside the house to detect the signal of your router inside the house while minimizing the chance that eavesdroppers can compromise your router by sitting in a car outside or in the house next door.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users