Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Lock Outlook 2003 Toolbar?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NorCal_Mike

NorCal_Mike

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:34 AM

Everytime I start Outlook or even a new email, the toolbars are all over the place, and there's no command (like in v2000) where you can right click and lock the toolbars. What an annoyance!

I've rearranged them time and again to no avail...and shutting down with them organized doesn't make them start that way next time either. I Googled it and found only what seems like sketchy fixes, IMO, such as changing a certain file to Read Only. Yeah, that's "great" till you want to change something 6-9 months later and can't remember what the heck you did. Another "jewel" is to not have Word as your editor. That's great if you don't want all the formatting options, colors, etc that one gets WITH Word as the editor...but I happen to use them. I have several Adobe programs that add buttons/bars to Outlook, so this only further compounds a bad situation. It's a freakin mess.

Why MS would make a change this stupid is beyond me, yet I've found no "fix" from them either. "Uh, Mr. Gates, being able to quickly & easily lock the toolbars was a GREAT idea." Maybe he thinks we should go back to slicing our own bread too?

Suggestions/fixes, anyone? Thanks~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:59 AM

I have 2003 and I've searched to no avail to find a solution
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 NorCal_Mike

NorCal_Mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:28 AM

Dang, that's discouraging. Considering that you're an advisor here, I have to think if anyone might know of a fix, it'd be you. What do you think of those other "fixes" I alluded to above? They didn't strike me as viable options.

May be time to torrent up a little Office 2007 if that's the case. I use email every day, many times a day, and this "toolbar tango" is beyond annoying. :thumbsup:

PS. Whoever thought that wasn't a redeeming feature, and decided to do away with it, should be hung by their thumbs.

:flowers:

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:30 PM

Dang, that's discouraging. Considering that you're an advisor here, I have to think if anyone might know of a fix, it'd be you. What do you think of those other "fixes" I alluded to above? They didn't strike me as viable options.

I personally use Open Office. My wife uses M$ Office, but rarely Outlook. There's a lot I don't know about Office There are others that are more familiar than me. They don't check the forum as regulaly so keep checking back for other solutions
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users