Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get a PC up and running again

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bargainhunter61

bargainhunter61

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:28 AM

I tried to install Windows XP on a machine which quite simply was not man enough to cope with it. It worked for a few days, but then completely froze. I tried reinstalling it but that failed and now I can't do anything with the pc at all. I'd like to install Windows ME instead but not really sure how. I get to the Boot from Atapi CD Rom and then stuck as to what to do. Can anyone help? Many thanks. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SaxonManFinland

SaxonManFinland

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 22 February 2005 - 08:00 AM

Anything above 95 needs lots of memory and XP needs a lot. If you are still using old PC with low memory then everything is going to cause you problems if you do a full install. :thumbsup:

#3 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:51 AM

Since XP and ME are both picky Operating systems. if you don't have anything on the XP Drive yet i would format, and start from scratch. you would need a Windows Bootdisk with Format.com. if you have FAT32 just format the Drive (format c:). if its NTFS i would sugest a simple small program called Delpart. (Google -> Delpart) Add that to your bootdisk and remove the NTFS partition that way.

AFTER DELPART:
boot from your Bootdisk, and run fdisk. create a new partiton using the whole of the drive (or how ever many partitons you want). the program will tell you to reboot after this operation. do so. boot from the floppy again, and run format : to format the drive ready for use. after the format is complete, the drive is ready to be used. have fun :thumbsup:

Hope this Helps

Edited by LoLucky, 22 February 2005 - 09:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users