Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

error 720?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 aussiegal

aussiegal

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 22 February 2005 - 06:33 AM

Hi,

I have a desktop running XP that I can't get on to the internet with. It dials up and seems to connect but then it comes up with the error 720.

I have called my ISP for tech support many many many times and generally get a different answer each time. I've tried all their recommendations to no avail. The latest advice is that it is only a minor problem but I will need to reformat the hard drive to fix it. So, do you think this is the answer - reformatting?

If so, these are the steps I've taken so far.....

1. The computer has 2 hard drives so I have used XP backup wizard to backup all existing files to the other (previously unused) hard drive. Is this ok? I was thinking I'll be able to restore this backup back after the reformat or, does this hard drive get formatted as well? Or can I specify during the reformatting procedure that only the one drive is to be formatted?

2. I have a set of 3 recovery CD's for Windows XP that came with the computer. How do I go about doing this? Are these recovery discs all that I need?

TIA :thumbsup:

Aussiegal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wally

Wally

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2005 - 10:42 AM

Hya. Don't know if this is any good to you, but you can have a look for free.
http://www.modemsite.com/56k/duns720.asp
Wally

#3 aussiegal

aussiegal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2005 - 08:53 PM

Hi Wally,

Thanks for the link. The first part of that info I've been guided thru with the ISP help desk but I'll try resetting TCP/IP and see if that helps.

Aussiegal

#4 aussiegal

aussiegal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2005 - 02:15 AM

Unfortunately that didn't work either.

Guess I'm looking to reformat but I'm not very confident. Anyone wanna take a look at my original post and give me some guidance?

Thanks

Aussiegal.

:thumbsup:

#5 Toomyboyak

Toomyboyak

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2005 - 07:38 PM

Hello Aussie Gal

I had the same thing happen to me last week on my DELL computer. The tech. from DELL couln't figure it out either after helping me troubleshooting for over an hour on the telephone with them. So I had all the back-up disk, so what I did was a full system install and that worked. :thumbsup: I did not want to do a Full reinstall as I did not have any backup at the time. so I lost all my emails and my contact info. So I installed a backup hard drive yesterday and I have backup now. :flowers:

Ok let me explain the install a little bit. Well it is a step by step install you have to have your WINDOWS PRODUCT KEY on hand as the set up program will ask for it and then it will ask for you to reboot your computer from the CD drive and you have to have the WINDOWS XP install CD in it. Then it will ask you a couple questions about formating and partinioning you harddrive and you want to refromat the NTFS part. and it will ask if you want to do a QUICK format or regular format. I did a regular format as I figure it would be better. This will take a while to complete then the install program starts installing WINDOWS and it will some you how much time is left til it is done. After the install start the WINDOWS FIREWALL and then go to the update site of WINDOWS and get all the updates and then install them. Then install a Anti- Virus program and Fire- Wall program and turn off the WINDOWS XP Firewall.
After all this you will be good to go!! :trumpet:

Tom from the Great Land of Alaska !!

#6 aussiegal

aussiegal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 03:18 AM

Thanks so much Tom. I'm gonna get my stuff together and have a go at it!

Cheers

Aussie gal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users