Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outmoded Tags

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Z

Bill Z

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:43 PM

Dear Forum,

How are you?

Throughout my webpage I have been using the html:-

<a name = #6></a>

in conjunction with

<a href = #6></a>

to navigate bookmarks.

I use homesite, and it gave me a warning message about the code that I ignored.

In Internet Explorer using URL#6 goes straight to the bookmark I wanted but I have been recently advised to use Firefox as it is supposed to be more secure, and discovered that

URL#6

only goes to URL ignoring the bookmark.

I wish to have the URL go directly to the bookmark, please can you advise on the correct code that will work with all browsers or at least Firefox as well as IE7.

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Noot

Noot

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:57 PM

I wish to have the URL go directly to the bookmark, please can you advise on the correct code that will work with all browsers or at least Firefox as well as IE7.

Are you looking for the site to automatically do that? While I'm sure there are probably ways to code that, I wouldn't suggest it. You can have a link that your viewers can click on themselves to add your site to their bookmarks.

I found two sites that you can use:

Your HTML Source

and/or

My Site Space

The first link gives you the code to play with and the last one will create the code for you.

I hope this answered your question! Good luck. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving
that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority."
E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

#3 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:00 PM

try using <a href="filename#6">Bookmark 6</a>
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:05 AM

It does work in Firefox, indeed in all browsers that I know of. If the code you gave in your first post is an accurate representation of the code you are actually using then i think I found your problem.

It should be like this:
The link you gave is correct
<a href="filename#6">Bookmark 6</a>

however the anchor you made has an error; there should not be a # in the anchor name:

This is the correct usage:
<a name="6"></a>

I suspect that IE is either handling the anchor tage incorrectly or that it is compensating for a common error in HTML code.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users