Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Chipset Is Best To Use

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Larkin600

Larkin600

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:16 PM

I'm currently using an Intel P965/G956 Express Chipset driver for my desktop computer. If you notice its giving me 2 options.
I can use the P965 or the G965 driver and it should be compatible. I guess this is what they're saying or if not which would be the better of the two to use. I would probably think the one P965 would be the first perference and then the G965. Is this not right? I could have this totally backware if so would someone please help me with this and thank you in advance.

DELL/XPS 410
Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
Ati Radeon 256 X1300 256MB Card
Intel E6600 Core duo 2.4GHz. processor
SATA II 250 Gig HD
SigmaTel Audio/Creative Soundblaster

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:43 PM

The 965 denotes a Family of Chipsets. 965 is the family, and the letter indicates specific functionality of the chipset.
Just because you are offered both drivers doesn't mean that one is better than the other. You MUST choose the
appropriate chipset for your motherboard or face a blue screen at some point.

And further? are you looking for a driver that provides sound or networking? or something more like a
PLATFORM driver. These are very different depending on the application.

You may want to try downloading Everest at home. (The Free version, which may not correctly identify your board)

And check to see what chipset you have. Or you could try CPU-Z (Meant to test your CPU)
And it should also list the chipset/platform you have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users