Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware Question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 socom 004

socom 004

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 06:06 PM

I've been using Webroot's Spysweeper for the past 3 years or so. My subscription is up in a week. Is AVG's Anti-spy free realtime protection? If so, do you think I'd be ok just using it instead of renewing my Spysweeper? I have no complaints with Spysweeper, but if AVG is realtime and is good I'd go with it. AVG is free right? Thanks.
HP Pavillion a1723w, 820 dual-core processor, 250 G hard drive, 3 G RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D
Altec Lansing Sound Speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 newchap

newchap

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:43 PM

It was this way.You could download a thirty day free trial but after this it would become a demand scanner.You would lose the programs realtime shields.I hope this helps.Superantispyware Pro has proven itself to be very reliable also and it has a trial.I know a lot of people has complained that SSweeper has really slowed their computers down.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:08 AM

AVG Anti-Spyware is free for 30 days and all the extensions of the full version will be activated. After the 30 day trial, active protection extensions will be deactivated and the program will turn into a feature-limited freeware version that you can can continue to use as an on-demand scanner or you may purchase a license to use the full version which includes real-time protection.

Keep in mind that no single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:34 PM

Right now I use the Webroot Spysweeper(realtime) and AVG on demand. I wasn't for sure if the AVG had realtime on the free version. Right now I use it on demand along with the Spysweeper realtime. I run Norton Internet Securities and it has a spyware mode on it, although I don't think it's very good. I also run Spybot S&D once or twice a week. The system I use is Vista Home Premium. Thanks.
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:54 PM

Spyware Blaster offers free realtime protection. Don't know if it's Vista compatible.

#6 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:02 PM

I'm trying to find out if it's Vista compatible.

#7 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:09 PM

I've been running Spyware Blaster in Vista in XP-compatible mode for the last few days, and it's working just fine for me so far.

Edited by Dialer, 04 December 2007 - 07:10 PM.

#8 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:32 PM

Thanks Dialer.

#9 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:53 PM

No problem. :thumbsup:

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:41 PM

Should work. If it won't run

Here is a possible work around for Vista and Spywareblaster. Posted by javacool (the software devloper)
What you may be experiencing is a conflict between the current version of SpywareBlaster and the DEP feature of Windows Vista.
Need to runing as Admin

This will be resolved in the next SpywareBlaster release (which is currently being worked on). In the meantime, there is a workaround you can try:

1.) Click on the Start Menu
2.) Right-click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties"
This should display the "System Properties" window.
3.) Click on the "Advanced" tab.
4.) Under "Performance", click on the "Settings" button.
5.) Now click on the "Data Execution Prevention" tab.

If you find that DEP is enabled for all programs (which may be the default way Vista is configured, depending on hardware settings), you can add "spywareblaster.exe" to the exclusion list by clicking the "Add..." button and browsing to your SpywareBlaster installation directory (C:\Program Files\SpywareBlaster, by default). This should resolve the issue.

Best regards,

-Javacool

Wilders Security Forums ...Post #3
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2007 - 09:37 PM

Thanks Boopme and others. I ended up re-upping my Spysweeper. Since I all ready had a subscription it was only $19.95. Now I have:
Webroot Spysweeper
Norton Internet Securities 2008 w/ spyware mode "on"
AVG Anti-spyware
Spybot S&D
Ccleaner
A-squared

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users