Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Dedicated Server Used As Regular Xp Computer?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mirabella

Mirabella

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:54 PM

Can I setup a Virtual Dedicated Server with an ISP that simulates what it is like to login to my home computer through logmein or vnc? I would never physically see the hardware because it would be physically at the ISP. In other words, I want to be on the road, fire up LogMeIn, connect to this computer (that I never physically see), and work in Windows XP, or possibly a different operating system.

Is a Virtual Dedicated Server overkill for what I want? If so, how else could I do this, without having to take care of the physical computer?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 12:39 AM

Hi there Mirabella, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Let me go over what I think you're asking, so that we're all on the same page.

Your ISP has a computer at their office, we'll call it the host computer. This computer has been assigned for your personal use.
You either have a laptop or plan on using public computers. We'll call these computers the client computer.

What you want to do is set up a system wherein you're out on the road, having a good time, miles, or continents, away from your ISP's office and the Host Computer. You haul out your client computer, log onto the internet, and (through methods to be determined) are able to log on to the host computer and interact with it as though it were right in front of you (i.e. a desktop, start menu, programs, etc. all running on the host computer but shown on the client computer).

Am I warm?

If I am, then I think you may be indeed skirting the shoals of overkill.

There are very many programs and systems that will allow you to use a computer remotely. Many of them even let you see and use the remote computer's desktop and interface.

Windows XP Professional has a built-in program called Remote Assistance. It was designed to allow a technician to fix your computer remotely. The major drawback is that there needs to be someone sitting at the remote computer to click the "OK" buttons to allow access. So that's out.

Another program is called GoToMyPC. I've never used it personally, so I'm not sure how good it is; but it's pretty popular from what I understand.

Yet another option may be Windows XP Professional's built-in Remote Desktop feature. However, you'll need to have some significant IT infrastructure in place to set it up (Remote Desktop Requirements)

And yet another option is using one of the flavors of VNC. VNC, or Virtual Network Computing comes in freeware, commercial, and industrial strength versions built by different groups and companies. A Google Search should be very enlightening as to the varieties available.

I'm curious, though. Does your ISP offer this service? If it does, you may want to use it so that you won't be hassled by setting it all up yourself, plus you'd likely get support included. If they don't, then one of the above programs may be what you're looking for.

Unfortunately, I'm not a networking guru and haven't used most of these programs. you may want to consider PMing a moderator or admin to move this topic into the Networking forum where all our resident network nuts hang out. Doubtless, they can help you more than I!

#3 Davey C

Davey C

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2007 - 01:32 AM

It is doubtful that a "virtual dedicated server" hosted by your ISP is going to be running windows xp anyway.
Posted Image

#4 Mirabella

Mirabella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:07 PM

Hi there Mirabella, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Let me go over what I think you're asking, so that we're all on the same page.

Your ISP has a computer at their office, we'll call it the host computer. This computer has been assigned for your personal use.
You either have a laptop or plan on using public computers. We'll call these computers the client computer.

What you want to do is set up a system wherein you're out on the road, having a good time, miles, or continents, away from your ISP's office and the Host Computer. You haul out your client computer, log onto the internet, and (through methods to be determined) are able to log on to the host computer and interact with it as though it were right in front of you (i.e. a desktop, start menu, programs, etc. all running on the host computer but shown on the client computer).

Am I warm?

If I am, then I think you may be indeed skirting the shoals of overkill.

There are very many programs and systems that will allow you to use a computer remotely. Many of them even let you see and use the remote computer's desktop and interface.

Windows XP Professional has a built-in program called Remote Assistance. It was designed to allow a technician to fix your computer remotely. The major drawback is that there needs to be someone sitting at the remote computer to click the "OK" buttons to allow access. So that's out.

Another program is called GoToMyPC. I've never used it personally, so I'm not sure how good it is; but it's pretty popular from what I understand.

Yet another option may be Windows XP Professional's built-in Remote Desktop feature. However, you'll need to have some significant IT infrastructure in place to set it up (Remote Desktop Requirements)

And yet another option is using one of the flavors of VNC. VNC, or Virtual Network Computing comes in freeware, commercial, and industrial strength versions built by different groups and companies. A Google Search should be very enlightening as to the varieties available.

I'm curious, though. Does your ISP offer this service? If it does, you may want to use it so that you won't be hassled by setting it all up yourself, plus you'd likely get support included. If they don't, then one of the above programs may be what you're looking for.

Unfortunately, I'm not a networking guru and haven't used most of these programs. you may want to consider PMing a moderator or admin to move this topic into the Networking forum where all our resident network nuts hang out. Doubtless, they can help you more than I!

Let me clarify

I want to setup a scenario where I can have 1 or maybe more computers that I don't have to "take care of" the hardware. I want a service provider to handle that source computer, and to use remote computers mainly as workstations that access the source computer through remote control software.

Are there companies that do this? Do ISPs do this? I mentioned Virtual Dedicated Server as an example, but it does not have to be a Virtual Dedicated Server.

#5 Davey C

Davey C

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:54 PM

No, generally ISPs do not do that. They simply provide DNS servers and a network connection for accessing the internet. A hosting company will give you a server that you can connect to remotely. A good hosting company will allow SSH (secure shell) connections to type commands, setup crontab entries, and do various other things directly on the server. This is generally a linux/unix operating system and your remote connection to it will be strictly for running command-line tasks. These servers are for hosting services (web pages, ftp servers, IRC bouncers, etc.) that need to be running 24/7 so that people on the internet can access them. What you want sounds like windows remote desktop, which is designed so that you can connect to your own computer from another computer on the same network (internet included), and run programs directly on your computer hosting the remote desktop service, rather than running them on the computer you are using. Depending on what programs you are using (and how fast your network/internet connection is), this could be really slow. And I don't know of any hosting company that is going to be running servers with Windows XP remote desktop. You should find a different way to ultimately achieve what you are trying to do.

Why do you want to be running programs on a computer other than the one you are using? How about just mapping a network drive and saving your important stuff on the computer you ultimately want the files to go to?

Edited by Davey C, 27 December 2007 - 08:55 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users