Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zonealarm Installer Warning

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:38 PM

ZoneAlarm has detected that you have McAfee Security Center installed. There are compatibility issues between ZoneAlarm and this product.

If you want to install ZoneAlarm, please uninstall McAfee Security Center and restart the ZoneAlarm installer.

Although I'm considering replacing McAfee with AVG, I haven't yet made a final decision, and uninstalling the Security Center seems a bit extreme. I had my Windows Firewall turned off, and simply disabling McAfee through the Security Center didn't allow the free version of ZA install to continue.

Anyone have any ideas about how to resolve this apparent conflict? Frankly, I'm kind of shocked that there is a conflict, unless it's an attempt on the part of the ZA to promote their own AV product.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:10 PM

What you see is totally as expected.

Malware is getting very complicated these days. So are the security packages.
ZA is not alone in wanting a clean slate. They include Kaspersky drivers. Kaspersky can't stand traces of previous antivirus or firewall. Few others are the same. If you read AVG instructions or AntiVir, or NOD32 you'll it as well.
Basically, most now require total, clean, uninstallation of previous things.

There is a clean uninstallation procedure for McAfee on their website. It is definitely not sufficient to stop or disable the firewall or AV. The drivers have to go as well. That's why most of the products have uninstallers bundled in. If they don't it's trouble.

ZA free is NOT an AV product. It's a firewall. But the free version 7 includes many more features normally included in the suite, and they are disabled in the free version. If you get yourself free version 6.5 it'll be a smaller product and fewer conflicts.

Edited by tos226, 03 December 2007 - 11:13 PM.

#3 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 12:34 AM

Hi tos. Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

Yep, I do know that ZA isn't an AV, but the company has its own AV suite for sale. That's why I thought they had created the conflict. But now that you've brought me up to date on the issue of clean uninstalls, I'll have to reconsider my plans.

You're certainly right about how much more complicated things are these days. I remember when I first got on the internet about 12 years ago that everyone said a firewall wasn't necessary for those on dialup, but I downloaded and used ZA anyway. Heh ... the first and only instance where I was ahead of the pack when it comes to computers. Still, in all these years, the only intrusion I've ever experienced was that my browser was once hijacked.

Well, enough lamenting about the good old days. Thanks again for your informative response.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users