Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu At 100%, Lots Of Memory

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 XML2005

XML2005

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:34 PM

I am running XP Pro SP2 on a Dell Dimension 4700 with 1.5 GB RAM and a 16 GB of my 40-GB hard disk free, and a Pentium 4 CPU 2.8 Ghz.

When running any brand of virus scan or spyware scan or online updates, my Task Manager shows CPU usage of 100% -- which makes it impossible to run anything else for a while -- even though my available RAM often is over 50%.

What does this mean? How do I know if the problem is hardware (such as my fan), or do I need a faster processor, more hard drive, or what?

BTW, I recently had major system problems in addition to the above problems I'd always had with scans. So I restarted from scratch and reloaded my OS and all my programs and data. Now, other than when running these scans, my computer is running great!

Thanks for your help.

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:24 PM

Some anti-virus programs are real resource hogs. Norton is one of them. Does anything else show high useage at the same time? What's your page file set at?
http://www.serverwatch.com
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:59 PM

Thanks for responding to my question so quickly.

While running a Trend Micro Pc-Cillin scan, I found the following processes using over 7,000Kb:
ieexplore.exe

#4 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:03 PM

Sorry about that last reply, submitted the page in error!

While running a Trend Micro Pc-Cillin scan, I found the following processes using over 7,000Kb:
svchost.exe 16,368
ieexplore.exe 78,872
explorer.exe 46,716
outlook.exe 42,500
winword.exe 10,964
tmproxy.exe 65,744
pcscnsrv.exe 50,716
pcctlcom.exe 10,620

Sorry about that last reply, submitted the page in error!

svchost.exe 16,368
ieexplore.exe 78,872
explorer.exe 46,716
outlook.exe 42,500
winword.exe 10,964
tmproxy.exe 65,744
pcscnsrv.exe 50,716
pcctlcom.exe 10,620

#5 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:05 PM

This time I wasn't even on the keyboard when it submitted! I think I'd better recheck for Trojans before you waste the time to look at my info! I'll post a new topic if and when the problems persists after I clean up. Thanks again

#6 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:04 AM

I evidently was problems with malware, because something had taken over my mouse and it was acting independently of my commands. I did full scans again, using Trend Micro (which found 2 viruses) and Ad-Aware and SpywareBlaster (which also found problems). Then, I changed my pagefile to System Managed Size. Now all is ok. Sorry I bothered you guys on this.

Thanks, I believe this topic can be closed.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,082 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:00 AM

Now that you are free of this.. You need to set a New Restore Point to prevent accidental retoring of the infection. The may be Malware in a Point and the scanners are unable to go there.,so removing them eliminates it ever getting out.
You may even want to run one more scan with SUPERAntiSpyware ,from safe mode. Use the free home version.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
Click "OK".
Click the "More Options" Tab.
Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:49 AM

Thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,082 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:11 AM

You're Welcome
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users