Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Total Uninstall Stalled

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:31 PM

it didn't take long to realize that removal of programmes are just as important as installing them. when i saw the link to this program "total uninstall" and the description of it's purpose, i thought i'd give it a shot.
it appeared everything was going smoothly until i ran it. it takes a snapshot of the computers files and registry. while doing it, a progress bar goes across. the progress bar quickly move to about 25% and quit for over half an hour. that's when i exited out of the program.
for anyone who has used "total uninstall", is this the normal way the program works? how long does it usually take?
i have a dial-up connection. would that affect the performance?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:04 PM

Total Uninstall has their own forum for problems. I'm not saying this forum isn't the greatest, but could be awhile before someone familiar with this program comes along. I never heard of this program until today but then again I've never used an uninstaller program or felt the need to.
Take a look here-
http://www.martau.com/forum/
X

#3 El_Tel

El_Tel

• Members
  • 206 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:08 PM

Hi..

I use it all the time now, try it again and when you think the program hangs; take a look at the top and see if it is waiting for you to select a program ( Install one application ) if so click Browse then locate the program to be installed and see if that sorts your problem out.

:thumbsup:
Posted Image

Tarrah then... Why not check my Intro

Many Thanks for taking the time out of your busy day...

#4 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:48 PM

cth tom,
the link helped me to remove the program the way it's intended to be removed. thanks.

el tel,

click Browse then locate the program to be installed

how can i do that when i haven't installed the programme yet? the programme that i had in mind (to monitor) was sandboxie. the whole idea is to take a snapshot of my computer before installing sandboxie, and then after installing sandboxie. there might be a problem with sandboxie, so i may want to get (completely) rid of it.
a window comes up and asks what programme needs to be monitored? i put sandboxie in the dialog box. i click next. the next window pops up and a progress bar starts, then stops for over a half hour. not only that, there doesn't appear to be any activity. my antivirus and internet icons are motionless and my firewall icon is motionless. i should have checked my task manager, but i wasn't thinking (my fault). you know the rest. i need to know more before i reinstall this programme. no harm done. nothing ventured, nothing gained. thanks.

#5 El_Tel

El_Tel

• Members
  • 206 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:44 AM

Hi

Total Uninstall work in three ways I think. It takes a snap shot before ( Then appearers to hang ) waits for you to choose a program, as that program runs; any changes are monitored by TU ( working in the background ) which will ask you to run the program at least once; even if that program asks for a Re-Boot.
If after a Re-Boot TU will still be monitoring, then give you a before and after install changes, with the option to import a log; which will automatically go into the installed program folder, just in case you have any difficultly un-installing in x time down the line.

The only thing that worried me to start with, is when I used TU to un-install a program; it chucked out a error message saying it couldn't delete some files. Which turned out to be " .tmp " files, and they got cleared out on next Re-Boot / shut down.

This is how it runs on my " Win ME ", other OS might be slightly different? ??

:thumbsup:

Edited by El_Tel, 05 December 2007 - 02:51 AM.

Posted Image

Tarrah then... Why not check my Intro

Many Thanks for taking the time out of your busy day...

#6 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:50 AM

keeping that in mind, maybe i won't rush to judgement. for now, i think i will just keep my ear to the wall and learn more about the programme if possible. it uninstalled nicely, so i am not really afraid of reinstalling it when i decide to.
thanks for the good reply. Ed

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:13 AM

I've tried using the last freeware version of Total Uninstall in Vista - and it has this exact same problem. Is this the same scenario for you?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users