Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is It Safe To Use Unsupported Programs?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 saint satin stain

saint satin stain

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:48 AM

Is it safe to use unsupported programs, ones not updated to correct defects in them?

I know that there are some simple apps, like script blockers, which have a limited range to protect, which may not need to be updated, except maybe gui changes for aesthetic reasons.

Port Explorer is apparently not being updated, except once, the new port and domain databases, but this is probably automatic. The program itself does not appear to be maintained and updated, so any exploits in it are not corrected.
The specific question: Is it safe to continue using Port Explorer? I have a license and I like it, but not if it opens my system to danger.

The general principle: Is it safe to use unsupported programs, ones not updated to correct defects in them?

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 03 December 2007 - 12:51 PM.

saint satin stain
Responsible for what I say,
not for what you understand.
www.leftinalabama.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:43 PM

I suppose this depends on what kind of applications you are questioning. If it is the kind of application that requires updating to function, such as Anti-spyware applications, for example, where new definitions are essential to protect your computer, then when support ceases so should your use.
Other applications (say in this case, a picture editor) that have run the course of possible enhancements and are fully functional are another story. In most cases the bugs from the original release have been worked through, and the GUI has been tweaked as much as was needed; in many cases, these "unsupported" applications are preferable to a Beta Release of a similar application.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 saint satin stain

saint satin stain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:38 PM

You are probably right, about PE too. I just got email from acquaintance at Secunia in which he said that since I check my system there and other similar sites, I would be made aware if there was a problem. I was considering moving to Currports or TCPView, or both.

You know, this forum is like having a wise old uncle, except most of you are young and wise, to give good advice, and most times almost immediately. Thank you jgweed, thank you bleeping....

saint satin stain
Responsible for what I say,
not for what you understand.
www.leftinalabama.com

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:47 PM

Young? You obviously haven't read too many profiles :thumbsup:
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:57 PM

In my case, it is "out of the mouths of babes" if you look at MY profile, Garmanma.
I think the decision to abandon PE is a good one, St. Satin.

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users