Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice On New Computer - Should I Switch To A Mac?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cindylu

Cindylu

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:45 AM

I'm looking into buying a new laptop in the near future and I'm seriously considering making the switch from a PC to a Mac. What are the advantages and disadvantages? I'm looking for something that is not quite as likely to become infected by malware, I'm looking for security and GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE. How much of a learning curve is involved in learning the new OS (Leopard it is I guess now)? Is most software compatible with a Mac?

Any info is appreciated. It's kind of a big jump but I'm getting a bit peeved with Microsoft and, well, Apple does have great commercials ;)

Cindylu

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:20 PM

Hi Cindylu,

This is a good comparison by CNET: MacBook Pro vs. the PC competition.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Cindylu

Cindylu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:39 AM

Thank you. I printed that out so I can mull over it a bit.

Cindylu

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:07 PM

Your welcome Cindylu. :thumbsup:
Also be sure and read Switch 101 - Welcome to Mac, to compare the differences/similarities between Mac and Windows.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 Noot

Noot

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:08 AM

I'm looking into buying a new laptop in the near future and I'm seriously considering making the switch from a PC to a Mac. What are the advantages and disadvantages? I'm looking for something that is not quite as likely to become infected by malware, I'm looking for security and GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE. How much of a learning curve is involved in learning the new OS (Leopard it is I guess now)? Is most software compatible with a Mac?

Any info is appreciated. It's kind of a big jump but I'm getting a bit peeved with Microsoft and, well, Apple does have great commercials ;)

Cindylu

I've used Apple, and it is really a great system to work with. I used a desktop the entire 4 years I was in college. I really didn't like it before I went to college, because then it was mostly known for it's "one button" mice and it's many shortcuts, but you can use regular 2-button mice with them and they work just as fine as a PC.

I just wanted to state also, that in the PC/Mac comparison that TMack linked you, it was posted prior to Adobe coming out with CS3(I think it was still using CS), which was created because of the Macs going to Intel processors. The computers do run a lot faster. They are also nice because you don't need anti-virus or malware protection due to the fact that nearly all of viruses and malware that are designed for a PC not a Mac. Every desktop at my college didn't run an anti-virus or a malware detection problem and we never had to worry about either.

Most software is compatible, I believe there is a lot of software that is cross-system compatible, which has a symbol on it stating so. I'm not sure about games, but I think that is starting to change, but I'm not fully sure as Macs aren't exactly known for their gaming abilities. From my use of OSX (I haven't had a chance to use Leopard yet), the learning curve between say XP and Mac OS is a very gentle slope. There is no start menu or taskbar. There is a dock, which shows all of your programs that you have installed on your computer, or programs that you want to show. You'll have your browsers, your email client, say you have Photoshop, Illustrator, etc, those would be shown. When you minimize a program or a browser, it disappears back onto the dock. A browser will go to the end or bottom of your dock where you can click and it'll bring it back up, whereas with a program, you just have to click on the icon on the dock I believe.

It's just getting used to it mostly, because I am sure you'll have the habit of using a PC and be looking for the things you're used to.

If you do decide to go to a Mac, I wish you good luck. You will enjoy it. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving
that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority."
E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

#6 boris003

boris003

• Banned
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:39 PM

Apple pc always has some great reviews, I always want to get a Mac when I was a college student, but it's a little expensive for me at that time, but now I can affort it. Recently I just got my Apple MacBook Pro MA895LL/A instead of my old HP for Christmas at a deal price of $1800

I like my new MacBook very, very much. It's thin, light, clean, and oh, so simple to use. The screen is brilliant, the keyboard feels nice (and I love the back-lit keys).

Edited by KoanYorel, 19 March 2008 - 08:26 AM.
to remove Spam Link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users