Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build Shuts Down After 20 Seconds

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 blanster

blanster

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:27 AM

I've done upgrades before so I decided to try and build my own system. I got the Antec P180B case with an Antec TruePower Quattro (1000w) Power supply, the Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard, Intel Core Duo E6700 2.55GHz 4Mz FSB processor, (2) Seagate Ultra ATA/100 750 Gb drives, (2) Seagate SATA 750 Gb drives, Sony DRU-835A Optical Drive, Logitech cordless keyboard and mouse, Viewsonic VX2255WMB-2 22" monitor. I had to try quite a few different tricks to get everything in there but it looks clean with no fans obstructed. When I first turned ot on there was no "spark". I found a loose connection to the front power switch and fixed it. Eureka! Lights came on, hard drives were spinning up life was good! However... after 20 seconds or so it powered back down. Not good. I waited a few moments and tried again. Same results. The BIOS starts up runs for about twenty seconds and then comes to a halt. Does anyone else have experience like this? I would appreiate any thoughts you may have

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:39 AM

It sounds like your cooling fan may not be properly seated on the processor. Boot into your bios and see if there is a hardware monitor there. It should be able to tell you your CPU temp (providing the computer stays on long enough). Otherwise, that would be the first thing I would check, in addition to checking to make sure that the CPU fan is running.

After that, then it becomes a matter of swapping out hardware.

Does the system even post? That is, when you start it up, does it display any messages to the screen?

#3 blanster

blanster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:43 PM

When I was wrangling the heat sink and fan onto the motherboard I noticed there was some gray gook on my fingers. I realized that this is so-called thermal grease but I figured that there would still be plenty left. It may need some more.
Of course I thought about it shutting down because of being too hot but would it really do that in 20-25 seconds? Thge computer does POST but it would take a quick hand on the keyboard to see what the CPU tempurature was. On other machines I'vre owned an alarm would sound but this case does not have one.
I did think that the fastening system for the CPU was confusing and the directions even worse. It did not seem like there was any way to snugly fasten the CPU/heat sink assebly to the mb. I will check this out.

Thank you so much.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:12 PM

It could indeed heat up enough in 20-25 seconds to cause a shutdown, especially if the heatsink is not even touching the CPU. You seem to have a few doubts about it being secure.

The only other thing I would consider is that there may be an issue with the power supply. I sort of doubt it, but one never knows. The easiest way to do that would be to try using an old power supply and see if it boots with that. No need to plug in all of the hard drives initially; just to see if the system will boot. Or if you have an old computer, try the power supply in that computer and see what happens.

Troubleshooting something like this is difficult because it could be almost anything. When wires heat up and start expanding, any loose connection could pull apart and cause the system to crash. The power supply and the heat sink are the two obvious choices though.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:22 PM

There should be a connection on the motherboard for an internal speaker if you have one in an old computer you can temporarily connect it to listen for post beeps. The computer may pass the POST test but if the CPU is overheating it will still crash.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 blanster

blanster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:16 AM

It was indeed a loose connection between the cpu and heatsink. Thanks (sorry for the delay in replying - I've been busy getting everything else to work now.)

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 14 December 2007 - 06:19 AM

Awesome Glad you got it working :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 Grdn1014

Grdn1014

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:07 AM

so-called thermal grease

Lol wipe that garbage off right now and get some arctic silver!! :thumbsup:

Even though you fixed your issue, preventative maintenance doesn't hurt.

Edited by Grdn1014, 21 December 2007 - 10:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users