Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sluggish Browsing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 el_maracumbe

el_maracumbe

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:43 AM

Hello,

I just moved to a new laptop running Vista Business. I use Firefox (latest version installed, plus fasterfox and adblock). I also have Zonealarm free and Avast! installed and running correctly. I have connected to my home wireless network and noticed that my old laptop running xp pro, zonealarm, and Nod 32 is a lot faster in accessing pages. The current laptop works fine otherwise, and is quite fast. Access to the internet is fine -- I get no errors or anything. I just would like it to be quicker, as I think it can be. What should I be looking for?

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 seedsofchaos

seedsofchaos

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:30 PM

Recently on my system at home (running Zone Alarm Pro) I've noticed that the firewall has been substantially slowing down traffic for whatever reason. I haven't investigated if I just need to update ZA as I know there was a recent security update that they have been bugging me with (via a pop up).

First and foremost, I would run a speed test with ZA enabled and then disable ZA (Right click on the icon down by the clock and choose Shutdown Zone Alarm) and then run another speed test. Currently I would recommend http://www.speedtest.net for that speed test.

#3 el_maracumbe

el_maracumbe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:35 AM

Thanks seedsofchaos, I did as you suggested and the results are quite similar:

With ZA

5967 down
580 up

without ZA

6074 down
575 up

Which looks about the same to me. I recall getting download speeds up to 9Mbps on my old computer. Something is amiss. Seriously, the pages sometimes take 10-15 seconds to load...

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:10 AM

One possibility is that the slowdown is caused by Vista.
Since it's release, there have been reports that Vista runs slower than XP (not for everyone but enough for people to complain).

A quote from an article in WXPNews, published by Sunbelt:

"Dallas D. writes from the perspective of a small computer repair person who has been in the business for fifteen years: "For the last 5 mths I have had a big rise in the amount of new and near new systems coming in to get there hard drives formatted and reinstalled with Windows XP as all these system had Vista on them and the customer just didn't like Vista or found it too slow. Most of the systems have been laptops from the big name companies like Dell, HP etc. ... Some of these laptops were very good systems with plenty of RAM and big hard drives and some had fairly big graphics cards in them and most if not all were dual core CPUs of about 2Ghz in size. All these systems were very slow running Vista and one laptop, a HP Presario V6000, took almost 4 minutes to boot up to the desktop."

#5 el_maracumbe

el_maracumbe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:18 AM

Well, that's the thing -- boot up and shutdown are fast; starting office programs takes about 5 secs for the first time after boot up, and only one second thereafter; I'm quite sure the problem is only with browsing and downloading email, etc.
If anyone has more suggestions, I'll be happy to try them.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:05 AM

Try opening Task Manager and see what procecces are hogging the CPU when the problem starts. Since the last Firefox update, it spikes my CPU to 100% and stays there
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users