Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection Between My Computer And Weird Text Messages?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:34 AM

Ok, my mom's cell phone service is out right now, but ever since Dec 1 her phone has been getting random text messages from a couple of strange numbers. At first we thought it was someone texting the wrong number by accident. But then they kept texting as if they were responding or carrying on a conversation. I'm baffled because I didn't think you could even receive text messages when you didn't have service. And I didn't think it was possible to continually text the wrong person by mistake.

But anyway, I didn't start to worry until I looked at the times on the text messages. Around the same time I was mentioning a certain person on YIM, this random number sent a random text message about someone with the same name. Then I noticed that some of the other random messages were at least vaguely related to things I'd typed online. My imagination could be running away with me on those, but the one about "Jeremiah" one minute after I mentioned David Jeremiah on YIM...that's creeping me out a little. Now, I know it wasn't the person I was conversating with on YIM sending the text messages. Actually, the two random numbers both have the same area code as me.

I would really like to make sure that my computer is safe. I have a ZoneAlarm firewall, Avast antivirus, SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard and I scan with multiple anti-spyware programs -- Adware, Spybot, SuperAntispyware and online scanners like TrendMicro. Would trying HijackThis be too much?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:55 PM

Any thoughts?

#3 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:50 PM

Alright, that's it, now I know I'm being spied on. I got another suspicious text message and it too refers to names I've typed online.

Has my IP address been hacked or something? Somebody, PLEASE give me some advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users