Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove Microsoft Pro 97 W/o Install Discs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rola

Rola

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 01:33 AM

Trying to remove programs from an old Acer which is about 8 yrs old. OS is Win 98 2'nd Ed. When i attempt to remove a program such as MS Pro 97 through Control Panel's Add/Remove program I get "place install disc and clk ok" Since I do not have the original program discs, how do I continue the process?

Thanks Rolo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:00 AM

Yes I remember this when I was running Office 97.

Well are you thinking of installing a newer version of Office? If so then just install over the top of the original. The Add/Remove will remove the old one title and replace it with the new one.

If you not installing Office again then the only other long winded way is to Open Regedit and search for all the files in the office folder and delete them. There are a lot in the Win\Sys folder but you can leave those. Then I would suggest you download RegClean 4.1 of the web its made by Microsoft and its free. This will remove all the other references to office that you missed when searching Regedit. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:31 PM

That is because Office was installed from cd originally.
Removing Office without the original cd is a formidable task and borderline impossible. Office scatters itself everywhere.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/158658

There used to be a tool for it. It was called "Microsoft Office Removal Wizard" and another one called Eraser97 to be run afterwards. Unfortunately all the links I have found to it are dead.
You might be better off just leaving it.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 JPeterman

JPeterman

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:15 PM

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ork2003/...1401771033.aspx

Regards
JPeterman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users