Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Organizing "all Programs"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 reynald

reynald

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:24 AM

My All Programs list has gotten too large and I'd like to organize it into subfolders (Utilities, Games, etc.). The problem is that some of my Start Menu program shortcuts are under All Users and some are under Current User (me). I'm the only user of my PC so there's no need for them to be split between two locations. Can I put them all in the same folder before organizing them? If so, does it matter whether I put them all under All Users or Current User?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:43 AM

It won't hurt anything at all. In fact, that's precisely what I do! I would recommend using the "All Users" folder instead of the current user folder. Though, to be honest, that's just my own personal preference.

#3 msass

msass

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:52 AM

One thing that does make it easier to organize under the current user's profile instead of All Users: ease of editing it in the future. When you open the menu for editing off the Start button, it will open the current user by default. So any time you want to reorganize the stuff in All Users, you will have to do some extra navigating. But it's just a minor annoyance. Another minor annoyance - if you move the Start Menu program shortcuts from their original locations, some program updates may reinstall the shortcuts in their original locations, and then you'll have two sets of shortcuts for the app. Very minor stuff though. I do it, and find it much easier to organize the Start Menu into folders of my own choosing. I also create subfolders right off the Start Menu to organize my most commonly used apps so I don't even use Start > Programs very often. (see attached screen print - taken in Vista, but concept works in XP too)

Attached Files

#4 reynald

reynald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 01:19 AM

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm inclined to move all my shortcuts to All Users only because that's where 75% of them seem to have installed by default.
I noticed that both Programs folders (All Users & Current User) have a DESKTOP configuration setting file (as well as another one in the next folder up). Do I need to do anything with those if I move all my shortcuts to a single folder? Perhaps they're self-maintaining.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:43 AM

Nope. Not a thing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users