Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Applications Won't Start Up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ependeon

Ependeon

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:32 PM

I guess I'll start at the beginning... I'll try to make this as organized and understandable as I can.

My Computer
- Acer Laptop (Aspire 1692)
- Windows XP Home

Before it first happened
- Didn't do anything out of the ordinary (ex. system changes, downloads, etc.)
- Fell asleep doing school work with MS Word and Internet Explorer running
- IExplorer was on a site using a Course Management System my university uses (called Moodle)
- When I woke up my comp was really slow so I just shut everything down and went to school, which is when the problems started...

The problems
Don't know quite where to begin...
- When I boot up a couple of processes (osa9 and windows search index) use up a lot of my cpu resources, leaving me unable to run any other programs
- When I end these processes or let them finish (which takes about 15 minutes) I can't run any programs on my computer (ex. Word, Internet Explorer, anti-viruses, the list goes on)

- I was actually able to get Word running by replacing a file (can't remember exactly what I did) but I cannot save any work done nor can I open previously save files
- When I try to open previously saved files I get the message the it is "locked for editing by 'another user'" and I'm given the "read only" and "notify" options
- When I try "read only" I get the message that the "document name or path is not valid"

- When I try running my anti-virus (AVG) I get the error message that the "folder is not accessible" and "windows cannot find 'avgsetup.exe'..."

- Trying to run Internet Explorer gives me the worst problems, slows everything down, the task manager takes forever to come up, and pretty all I can do is restart the computer

What I've tried
- Running online anti-malware (BitDefender and Ewido) - didn't help any
- Disabling the processes that were giving me problems during start up (osa9 and windows search index) - didn't help either
- Running in safe mode allows me to run Internet Explorer, but I still cannot save or open Word files and still cannot run my anti-virus and a few other programs still have problems
- Running in safe mode as administrator (even though my personal file has administrator capabilities) allows for more programs to be run than in safe mode in my personal file (ex. my anti-virus, as well as a couple other things), but problems still remain (ex. opening/saving in Word, and the list goes on)

I don't know if these problems are caused by viruses or missing/corrupt files or anything else and I'm not sure where to go from here...
Can anyone please help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 04:49 AM

Did your virus scans come up with anything?

I would try uninstalling and then reinstalling Microsoft Office.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Ependeon

Ependeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:17 AM

The virus scans came up with a handful of "moderate risk" files. They were all deleted after the scans.

When I insert the CD to install MS Office using my profile (in a regular start up and in safe mode) I get the message "Error opening installation log file. Verify that specific log file location exists and is writable."

When I try it using the administrator profile in safe mode I get the error message "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation."

I seem to get similar error messages (ex. verify location exists) when I try to install or even access numerous programs on the computer.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:44 AM

Check the registry value DisableMSI under the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer

If it is set to 1 or 2 change it to 0.

As with any fix that involves modifying the registry you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first. For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:16 PM

I think I'd run chkdsk /r on the hard drive first, matter of GP :flowers:. It's always good to check the hard drive when problems suddenly appear, IMO. Doesn't take long and pays for itself in time.

XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html Skip the first set of instructions, you want to run it from My Computer (Graphical Version).

Then I think you need a repair install. The fact that you state that you stopped/disabled this/that...well, it would take a mind reader to figure out whether or not you helped or hurt the system by doing these things.

A repair install will at least give you a decent base to move forward with.

Order out of chaos :thumbsup:...

Louis

#6 Ependeon

Ependeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:20 PM

I tired what hamluis suggested and ran chkdsk on the drive first. No problems were found.

When I tried to check the value of DisableMSI like Budapest suggested, the option for 'DisableMSI' was not there. The only things in the name column are '(Default)' and 'EnableAdminTSRemote'.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:28 AM

Try running the System File Checker (SFC).

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 Ependeon

Ependeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2007 - 01:28 PM

I used the SFC method used if you don't have the installation CD (I only have the restore CD). After the status bar for the SFC show that the check is complete it disappears. Is there supposed to be any prompts or messages when the check is complete? Nothing seems to be changed after the check is complete (DisableMSI is not there still).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users