Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:32 PM
I guess I'll start at the beginning... I'll try to make this as organized and understandable as I can.
- Acer Laptop (Aspire 1692)
- Windows XP Home
Before it first happened
- Didn't do anything out of the ordinary (ex. system changes, downloads, etc.)
- Fell asleep doing school work with MS Word and Internet Explorer running
- IExplorer was on a site using a Course Management System my university uses (called Moodle)
- When I woke up my comp was really slow so I just shut everything down and went to school, which is when the problems started...
Don't know quite where to begin...
- When I boot up a couple of processes (osa9 and windows search index) use up a lot of my cpu resources, leaving me unable to run any other programs
- When I end these processes or let them finish (which takes about 15 minutes) I can't run any programs on my computer (ex. Word, Internet Explorer, anti-viruses, the list goes on)
- I was actually able to get Word running by replacing a file (can't remember exactly what I did) but I cannot save any work done nor can I open previously save files
- When I try to open previously saved files I get the message the it is "locked for editing by 'another user'" and I'm given the "read only" and "notify" options
- When I try "read only" I get the message that the "document name or path is not valid"
- When I try running my anti-virus (AVG) I get the error message that the "folder is not accessible" and "windows cannot find 'avgsetup.exe'..."
- Trying to run Internet Explorer gives me the worst problems, slows everything down, the task manager takes forever to come up, and pretty all I can do is restart the computer
What I've tried
- Running online anti-malware (BitDefender and Ewido) - didn't help any
- Disabling the processes that were giving me problems during start up (osa9 and windows search index) - didn't help either
- Running in safe mode allows me to run Internet Explorer, but I still cannot save or open Word files and still cannot run my anti-virus and a few other programs still have problems
- Running in safe mode as administrator (even though my personal file has administrator capabilities) allows for more programs to be run than in safe mode in my personal file (ex. my anti-virus, as well as a couple other things), but problems still remain (ex. opening/saving in Word, and the list goes on)
I don't know if these problems are caused by viruses or missing/corrupt files or anything else and I'm not sure where to go from here...
Can anyone please help?