Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe Application Error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 C87

C87

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:33 PM

Hi. First Post, really struggling with a computer issue, there are multiple facets to this so I'll try to be concise. This error is highly related to an error listed HERE. However, because the circumstances differ, I thought it appropriate to list my error.

For a long time since I built my computer, i'd receive strange application error messages, but it never caused serious problems because if i terminated the program it would come back. Recently, I had to take my computer to Best Buy because it would not start, which was ultimately linked to a power issue.

In addition to replacing the power supply, they also performed a system optimization, which is described on Geek Squad's Website as the following:

Your computer, like your car, is a finely tuned machine that needs regular maintenance to keep it running and in good working order. Our optimization service includes over 100 system tweaks that will shorten your computer's boot time, delete unwanted files and remove unnecessary background processes. Agents will bring your system up to speed with the most recent updates to guard against security threats.

Their updates included, among other things, updating my CMOS BIOS for my motherboard. As soon as I started using my computer again, the computer started using it's Automatic reboot feature to recover from a fatal error, which was not listed to me. Sometimes it would reboot seconds into the boot, sometimes into the desktop startup, and sometimes the computer would be stable for days on end, acting normally. Occasionally, I would get a high-pitched crackle or tone coming from my speakers, which would severely damage the quality of any other sound. Usually, when restarted well, the sound wouldn't be present, although occasionally a long lasting restart would still have the sound, however it was so piercing that I would usually reboot the system anyways until i could get the system to not produce the sound.

During the times of stability, I updated both my video and audio driver, which for a time minimized the number of restarts and almost completely eliminated the instances that the sound would come up. For a while, it seemed like there weren't serious issues. However, a couple days ago, I started receiving the following error:

explorer.exe - Application Error

The exception unknown software exception (0xc00000fd) occurred in the application at location 0x7c90eddc.

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

The explorer application would start, fail, restart, rapidly, until it came to this error message. All programs that don't directly use explorer in any of its processes work fine, such as Mozilla Firefox, and internet speed doesn't seem noticably slower. The thing is, I don't believe a system restore point was set by best buy when they made their updates, nor had one been set before because I hadn't had issues anything like this before.

Below is my system information, if it helps:

Microsoft Windows XP Pro version 5.1.2600 Service Pace 2 Build 2600
Intel D CPU 2.80 GHz
2.81 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM
Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum
Maxtor 6B200S0

I understand that formatting the disk may fix the issue, however I would lose all of my information, which includes an extensive music library and years of word documents, and other personal files I would like to save. It is not an option for me to lose this information. I appreciate all the help that you can give me. Thanks so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:28 PM

The explorer.exe error (and it's rapid cycling) is (IMO) symptomatic of a nasty virus infection. I would suggest doing several free, online scans to rule this out:
http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

A full format will fix your system - if this is a software issue. Not because it fixes everything, but it wipes everything out and starts over fresh. An option is to backup the music and documents to an external hard drive before reformatting. Since explorer.exe isn't reliable, you'd have to resort to a Live Linux CD, a BartPE CD, or the Ultimate Boot CD in order to ensure that it copies correctly.

FWIW - if you copy an infected file, you copy the infection over to the new location - so it's essential to ensure that the infection isn't in one of the files that you're backing up.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:40 PM

It is not an option for me to lose this information

I use a external hard drive for this purpose in case of a computer malfunction that only a reformat will solve. Get another hard drive to backup important stuff.
Here's some examples for around $100-
http://www.buy.com/retail/searchresults.as...amp;dcaid=17873
X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users