Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Delete Hidden Files

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 duxfordmemory

duxfordmemory

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:34 PM

Hello
This is my first posting so here goes. A number of weeks ago I ran across a freebie file that I could download and subsequently enter files into that would be accessed only with a password. I proceeded to enter private and personal information into it, finding it very useful as my grandkids are forever roaming through my PC. Much to my dismay, they somehow wiped out a number of my files, including all evidence of the hidden files folder. I scoured my hard drive hoping I would find some clue to the hidden folder but no luck, so I assumed it was deleted.
A few days ago I ran a program called, "largest files finder"just to get an idea of what files were taking up the most space on my hard drive when lo and behold, there were my missing files listed among all the others. I tried dragging them out, copying, deleting, etc, nothing works. I can open the files but cannot do anything with them. At this point I would be satisfied to just delete them and chalk it up as a lost cause. Can anyone out there crank up their expertise and show me how to delete these files? Many thanks.

Duxfordmemory

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:27 PM

What was the name of the program, that ate your files.
Someone here might be able to help, if they knew the name of the program.

If that fails:
Have you tried deleting it, in Safe Mode?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Have you checked the folder's Properties?
Right click the folder, and select Properties.
Make sure it's not set to, Read-only.
If it is, uncheck it, click Apply, and click OK.
Now try to delete it.

Have you tried renaming the file, then deleting it?
Name it anything you want, like trash, old, useless, ........ whatever.

If none of the above works, here are a couple of programs, you can try:
Unlocker
Eraser
Delete Doctor

There's also this Microsoft Knowledge Base Article that might be helpful:
How To Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP

Edited by tg1911, 02 December 2007 - 11:28 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 duxfordmemory

duxfordmemory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:11 PM

Thanks for a great set of options. I`ve tried everything you`ve advised with no luck. Unfortunately I cant remember the name of the program that ate my files. I just picked it at random among others at the time and when it appeared that my files and the program had been deleted I just never gave it another thought. It wasn`t until I recently ran across a web site called: www.file.net and a file in it called, "top 100 largest files on your computer". I ran the file and it did exactly what was advertised, it listed the 100 largest files on my PC. Thats where my missing files now suddenly showed up. I can open the files listed but cant do anything with them. As mentioned previously, I`ve tried right clicking, deleting, copying, draging and dropping, etc. The files show being in a folder: C:\CHKDSK.100yy (with two sets of dots over each y). I cannot find that folder on my drive, I`ve tried everything. It`s just frustrating me to no end. Does anyone out there have any other possible solutions to this Chinese puzzle?? Again, thanks for your great reply.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:14 PM

You're welcome, duxfordmemory.
Sorry it wasn't any help.
Hopefully, someone else might have another idea.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 DarkNight

DarkNight

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:22 AM

Hi :flowers:
I dunno on how to delete the files,but i know how to restore the missing file
Google for Recover My Files,and,like the name,it WILL recover the files,I know cuz I use it :thumbsup:
I cannot remember if it is free or not,I have the program for ages now!!
And the files that cannot be delete,well,the only way to get rid of it that i can think of is a hard format
and I'm sure you'll never want to do that!!

#6 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:01 PM

Did you say that you can view the hidden files only through the aforementioned program? If you can set your Windows Explorer to be able to see these hidden files then maybe you could delete them that way:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/141276/

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#7 duxfordmemory

duxfordmemory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:42 PM

To Darknight and JHS Murray,
Thanks guys for your informative replies. The "Recover my Files" program is an excellent one for what it was designed for: to recover deleted files. The files I`m trying to retrieve were never deleted. They are still there, buried in an invisible program or folder, so far only able to be seen in the software I mentioned above. Seen but no able to do anything with which is the maddening thing I face. The approach through Microsoft is also informative, yet does not touch my problem. Looks like it`ll take a miracle from the big guy in the sky! Thanks alot guys for taking the time to help out.

#8 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:06 PM

Hi duxfordmemory,

Do you know the entire pathname to the files? If so, you might be able to use the command prompt to rename or move them and then retrieve them or, if all else fails, delete them.

Or here's another thought. If you still know the password you used, is there a right-click option to open them using a password? I've never password protected a file, so I don't really know how that works.

And yet one more possibility would be to Google the appropriate keywords for that application to see if you can find and reinstall it. I'm on slow dialup, so I use a download manager for most of my downloads. Fortunately, I'm able to set it to maintain history logs so that I have a record of all the downloads and URLs I've made from them.

Along the lines of closing the barn door, it would probably be a good idea to set up parental controls on the accounts your grandkids use. :thumbsup:

Edited by Dialer, 13 December 2007 - 08:15 PM.

#9 duxfordmemory

duxfordmemory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:11 PM

Dialer,
Nothing seems to work. Whoever put that software together and unsuspecting me used it, has to be evil. Sure would like to sit down and have a chat with that man. Looks more and more like my only solution will be to format my hard drive. Needless to say, I will not do that hastily. Thanks for your input Dialer.

Duxfordmemory

#10 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:31 PM

Awwww Dux, don't give up yet.

Back to my first suggestion, above. What I was getting at was that you could very possibly use DOS commands to get rid of the files. Did you try that? If not, it's definitely worth your taking a crack at it. If you don't know how to do that, we can talk you through it here.

#11 duxfordmemory

duxfordmemory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 03:17 PM

Dialer,
Your approach sounds intrigueing and I would certainly need you to hold my hand, as I am not a very savvy user. However, how would you feel about doing THIS before, just so you get a feel for what I`m up against:
Go to www.file.net, click on software, click on Largest Files Finder, click on Free Download, and then Run, and Run.
Now, whatever files it finds on your PC is where the hidden files in question show up on my PC. You will be able to open any of the files listed but thats where it ends. I cant do anything, i.e., delete (which is my priority), copy, drag and drop, etc, etc. If you can master that situation, my hat is off to you my friend. So thanks in advance and I`ll be watching for your results.

Duxfordmemory

#12 duxfordmemory

duxfordmemory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:39 PM

Hey Dialer,
Looks like you`re the one that has given up. Had high hopes that you would have my long sought solution. Oh well.
Have a Happy New Year. Regards,

Duxfordmemory

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:01 PM

The files show being in a folder: C:\CHKDSK.100yy (with two sets of dots over each y).

The file name intrigues me because chkdsk is the abbreviation for the Check Disk utility. I'm not sure of the significance of that, but perhaps someone will have some insights.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#14 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:34 PM

Oh gosh, Dux,

Sorry to have disappeared. I got all involved in family and friends over Christmas and then ... well ... I forgot about this thread. :thumbsup:

Orange Blossom raises a good question, which also leads me to ask if you changed your folder options to view hidden folders and files, including system folders and files?

Meanwhile, I'll go check out Largest Files Finder.

Happy New Year to you!

Edited to add: Ah, I see that jhsmurray already posted a link above for info about viewing hidden files.

Edited by Dialer, 04 January 2008 - 11:41 AM.

#15 duxfordmemory

duxfordmemory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:46 PM

Orange Blossom,
Yes, chkdsk is exactly what you say it is. How that relates to the hidden folder I`m going nuts trying to find is beyond me. Each of the files in question show a path yet in following the path to its end location, nothing is there to be found. Whoever put together that software I downloaded and loaded files into must be laughing his head off.

Dialer,
Folder options to show hidden files has already been addressed. No luck, unfortunately.

Duxfordmemory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users