Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Icons Appear In The Control Panel

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LynneK49*

LynneK49*

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:34 PM

I was helping a friend with their computer and deleted AOL program from her Documents in her C drive. When I rebooted I went to open up the Control Panel and their were no icons showing. I got the error message: " Internet Explorer Error
Line 107
Char 21
Error Permission denied
Code 0
URL File File://C:\\Windows\Web\contrdp.htt
Do you want to continue running scripts on this page.
I clicked yes and I had no icons appear in the Control Panel and later when I tried to access Internet Explorer I got the same error message.
What can I do to get the Control Panel back?
I'm real worried that in deleting the file AOL Application I messed something up.
Thanks for anyone's ideas on this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:22 PM

Try System Restore and use a restore point dated before you deleted AOL
http://www.microsoft.com
If that doesn't work and you have a XP disk, you can run System File Checker
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 LynneK49*

LynneK49*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 06:19 AM

Can I restore to a day and time.
Yesterday I spent a lot of time deleting unwanted programs to increase the start up speed.
I'd like to restore to 12/2/07 @2:00 PM, otherwise I'll lose a lot of work.
How can I restore to a day and time?
Hope it's possible.
Thanks so much.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:15 AM

You only have a choice of a date, not the specific time.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:20 PM

You might lose a lot of work, but at least the computer will function properly. Then you can properly clean up old programs using the Add/Remove programs feature. If you intend to stop unwanted services at statup do not use MSCONFIG. Instead try a program such as Autoruns.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 LynneK49*

LynneK49*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:41 PM

Thanks everyone. I forgot to tell you the laptop is running Millenium. I tried to use system restore to undo what happened on 12/2 but I had to go into a safe boot to get to system restore and it would not allow me to restore anything before 12/5. All other dates were greyed out and it would not take me to a prior month. Only two dates were available 12/5 and 12/8. You cannot get into explorer or see the icons in the control panel. I'm at a loss at what I can do....thinking of reformatting the hard disk and reloading the operating system???
Any magical help out there!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users