Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to burn a backup copy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 easycigarman39

easycigarman39

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 22 February 2005 - 01:39 AM

Hello, I'm new to burning data and audio CD's on a computer and I'm having trouble getting started. I'm used to the floppy disc thing, but I now have a CD/DVD burner drive and want to make good use of it. Anyway here's what I'm trying to do: I want to make a backup copy of a data CD (display and sound drivers, etc). It's an installation CD. I send the CD contents from the drive to My Documents, and after this is complete I then open up My Documents and see that all of the files are shown individually rather than in a folder. Is there any way that I can send the contents of this CD from the drive to a folder rather than have them all shown individually? It would sure make things easier, otherwise, with the files in My Doc I have to then create a folder and manually put each one in the folder. Am I missing something? Seems like there should be an easier way. I put the CD I want to copy in the drive, I let the computer read the contents, I then right-click on the CD/DVD desktop icon , select open and see the files, then the edit tab at the top, I then click on "select all" and all of the files are highlighted. At this point I right-click on one of the files (or I could click on the file tab at top) and from the drop-down menu I see that I can only send them to a few different spots (floppy, desktop, mail recipient, my documents). Is there some kind of program or something that might simplify this procedure--something that will allow me to send entire contents of a data CD (or audio CD for that matter) into a folder in My Documents or Desktop? Maybe I'm just missing something simple.

I really appreciate anyone's help on this. No doubt I'll have further related questions.

Tim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2005 - 03:34 PM

Well, it all sounds quite confusing, but I think we can do what you want.

First, you can choose as many files as you want to copy at once. You don't have to do them one at a time. I'm not really sure how or why you're "sending" the contents of the CD to your My Documents folder. You can put them there if you want to, but you can also make a folder anywhere on your hard drive.

To create a folder, open Windows Explorer (Windows Key and E key at the same time). Then on the left pane, click on your C: drive. The contents of C: will appear in the right pane. Put your cursor in an empty space and right click. Choose "New" and wait while the list opens, then choose "folder." A new folder will appear and you can now name it something besides "New Folder" - call it something you can remember, like "Install Files." Then, in the left pane, find the CD where your driver disk is. Click on that and the driver files should show up on the right side of the window. You can then go up to the Edit tab in Explorer and choose "Select All" or you can choose which ones you want by holding down the control key (CTRL) and clicking on only the ones you want. Then choose "Copy" and navigate to the new folder you created. Choose Paste from the menu bar and all the files you chose will appear in your new folder.

If you now wish to make a copy of the contents of this folder, you can easily put them into your burning software. You do have burning software?

Another way to make a copy of this disk is to simply use your burning software and choose "Make an Exact Copy" if that choice is available. If you play around with this you should be able to become quite proficient at making copies of data, including personal data such as favorites and files that you don't want to lose.

DO NOT simply copy files onto the C: folder. There are some important files already there and you want to leave those alone.

Files that are copied to a CD-R will be read-only. If you have data of your own, such as Word files or Word Perfect files, and you copy them back to your hard drive from a CD, you will have to change their attributes from "read-only" to "archive" before you can edit them (although you can view them just fine). To do this, right-click on the file, choose properties, then uncheck "read-only" and check "archive" instead.

Does this help?

It would also be helpful if you mention which kind of burning software you have, if any. Then someone who uses it could give pointers.

#3 easycigarman39

easycigarman39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 12:31 AM

Thanks for posting. For some reason it hadn't dawned on me about cut/copy and pasting. I'd done it all the time before, but I guess I thought with CD buring there would be a different way. Now I'm embarrassed :) Sometimes it's the simplest things that escape me. And yes, I see how changing the attributes will be necessary. I have DeepBurner installed. I want to make a backup copy of an installation disk and after that lots of music burning planned, but I first need to get familiar with Deepburner and Audiograbber. I don't know (I'll find out) if any sort of copy-protection in this installation CD will prohibit me from making a copy.

By the way, another question: I understand the concept behind the program AudioGrabber for better copying of music files. Are there programs for better handling of data files (as opposed to music files) or is that something that the computer itself handles sufficiently?

#4 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 03:17 AM

I had to research AudioGrabber since I knew nothing about it. I sure am impressed though. I might be downloading it soon - I almost never download stuff. :thumbsup:
From what I can gather, AudioGrabber offers so much but nothing is mentioned about non-audio files. I'd skip the program for when you're going to burn data. Your computer will do a superb job on its own.
Newer CD's and DVD's are now manufactured so that burning them is an impossibility. Not 100% of them that I know of, though.

Hope this helps.

#5 HUGED1

HUGED1

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 24 February 2005 - 04:24 PM

Do you have only the burner? If you also have a CD or DVD player installed it would greatly simplify things. All you would have to do is put your CD in the player with a blank in the burner & tell Deep Burner to make a copy.
Ed.

#6 easycigarman39

easycigarman39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2005 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for the replies and info everyone. I do like this Audiograbber program. I had doubts about just letting old win98 handling music files and music file transfers and stuff like that, so I searched for a specific program.

Thanks for the tip HugeD1. I'm gonna order a CD/DVD player-only to go with the burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users