Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows < Unix/linux

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ObNockShus

ObNockShus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 05:22 PM

Hi,

I have been a Windows user since win95 and frankly, I'm sick of all the issues. I want something more stable.

I want to switch to a Unix based OS but am not sure which one (Unix, Linux, Mac, freebsd...) or how much I will need to learn about cmd structure,file allocations etc.

Can anyone give me some input on a very basic level and both; help me decide which is best for me, and; tell me what I need to buy as far as hardware?

Thanks in advance for your help.

TK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:12 PM

You're going to have a learning curve no matter what. The easiest for me to get my feet wet was Ubuntu. The big difference for me was to terminolgy. I bookmarked a couple of different sites with glossaries and definitions and had my cheat sheet with me for a long time, still do. I didn't have any hardware conflicts or driver problems, but I'm still a greenhorn. I think most of the problems people encounter are downloading incomplete or corupt versions. I got Ubuntu free through https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ and had no problems with a dual-boot installation
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:50 PM

First If you want a little help deciding http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/41001/which-distro-is-right-for-me/
Live CD's are a excellent way to "see" if you like a particular or not, If something goes wrong while using it simply reboot and all is back to how you started, as they don't write to your hard drive. If you take the test and have a broadband connection (dsl/cable) try 2-3 of the choices shown. each Distro usually has a user forum , thats normally a good place to start if you have specific questions :thumbsup:
if you choose a Distro that can be used "live" you find out right away if you're compatible and if you have a computer thats been made in the fast few years you shouldn't have any worries ( a few specify a 686 class cpu ). Linux will run rings around M$ using the same amount of memory from what I've seen and will work with amounts far less than the current offerings from Redmond. Don't watch or use DVD's here , a growing number should play them with out much trouble though. I have yet to come across a video that I couldn't watch.

a couple links to get you started
http://mostly-linux.blogspot.com/2006/06/1...r-needs-to.html
http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/lin...ners_index.html
http://www.howtoforge.com/

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:35 AM

There should be no need for additional hardware. Linux runs on exactly the same hardware the Windows does.

#5 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:01 AM

Ob,

As mentioned, there WILL be a learning curve, especially if you want to take FULL advantage of the modularity and flexibility of Linux/UNIX. Take advantage of the Linux LiveCd. Most distributions have them. I have installed just about every major distro on about 50 random PCs over the last 2 years and have had only a handful of of issues that took longer than a day or two to resolve, and maybe two or three instances where one particular distro refused to install. Those two or three failures were probably due to my inexperience, impatience or combination of the two.

I have moved several business and home PCs to Mandriva Linux for 2 years now and it all works for me. At the risk of sounding downer....if you are looking for a "better" version of Windows, you may be dissappointed. If however, you are looking for freedom from viruses, spyware, forced software AND hardware upgrades, data format lock-in, incompatible formats and applications, WGA, incomprehensible EULAs and that nagging feeling that all that phoning home is sending your personal information to some large corporation, then a move away from MS may be your ticket.

MS and the occasional winapp have had a death grip on a few user experiences like PhotoShop, AutoCad, gaming, and some media formats, but that grip is beginning to loosen. Between the distros that package prorietary tools and some commercial Linux/UNIX based applications, there is almost nothing that is off limits to you, the user.

Hope this helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users