Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Just Shuts Off After Dropped

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 tiverty

tiverty

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 04:25 PM

My family just moved and I have my own personal computer that I use for me only with gaming and such. However durring moving it was fliped foward in my car once (didnt think it was that bad at all) and fell of a bed once about a foot to the floor. Now, when i start it up, it starts up but will quit randomly soon after startup! The longest it has stayed on is a little after a screen that pops up saying it was shut down inproperly and it has options to choose from (you all know what i mean right?). Also durring the time it manages to stay on, if you bump it at all even a little bit it shuts off! I checked inside, all wires seem to be firmly inplace! This computer is not store bought it was put together at a place that builds your computers, sells hardware/software, and fixes them.

Also the family computer was sitting idol in our basement for about two months before we moved and when we tried to hook it up at our new place it tells you that there is no Operating system found and when you try to install the operating system it tells you it can find no hard drive disk....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 04:30 PM

It could be pretty much anything. I suppose that one can eliminate the mouse, keyboard, and probably the cpu as a source of the problem. Other than that, it could be anything.

Anyway, did you have a specific question, or do you just like sharing stories. :thumbsup:

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 04:38 PM

I'd take it to a local computer shop for an estimate.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:00 AM

okay for the dropped one, I would open it up, visually inspect the motherboard for any damage, then proceed to reseat all power and data cables, ram, cpu, video card, etc. then try booting it up.

as for the one system that had been idle for while that can not find a HDD, I would check to make sure there is a HDD inside and make sure the ide/sata cable is plugged in as well as power. if so and you still get no drive found, then the HDD is dead.

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 06:09 AM

For your gaming computer, I bet when you dropped it your processor heatsink/fan got bumped off (happens to mine a lot). Open up your computer and see that everything is plugged in right, especially check your processor heatsink/fan.

As for your family computer, if everything is plugged in right to the hard drive and its still not detecting an Os it's probably dead. You could maybe try hooking it up to another computer to see if that computer can detect it though.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 tiverty

tiverty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:46 AM

For your gaming computer, I bet when you dropped it your processor heatsink/fan got bumped off (happens to mine a lot). Open up your computer and see that everything is plugged in right, especially check your processor heatsink/fan.

As for your family computer, if everything is plugged in right to the hard drive and its still not detecting an Os it's probably dead. You could maybe try hooking it up to another computer to see if that computer can detect it though.

I would have no idea on checking to see if it is all plugged in right? As of right now im thinking of just going to a computer repair place i know of but the bench fee is $39.00 and that is not appealing to me! Where inside the computer do i find the processor heatsink/fan? (the fan is just one of the two fans right?

I forgot to mention this before but before the computer shuts off it sounds like the fan is going increasingly faster and if left untouched it will reach what sounds like fast speed then everything will just shut down.

#7 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:17 AM

well, is the one that was dropped a brand name PC?

#8 tiverty

tiverty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:23 PM

This computer is not store bought it was put together at a place that builds your computers...

#9 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 03:51 PM

sorry, you should be able to open the side of the case, usually 2 screws hold the panel on. I would do that before you take it to a shoop that will probably do the same thing and charge you for it.

#10 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:59 PM

The heatsink will be a pretty big sized metal piece with a fan on it most likely. Kind of wiggle it around and see if its loose at all. If it is, take it off, put on new thermal paste (first clean off the old), and put it back on. While your in there, might as well clean out the dust, and check all your cords to make sure there plugged in tight.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#11 tiverty

tiverty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2007 - 12:21 PM

well i broke down and brought it into the store because of time restraints this week due to work. When I brought it in she opened it up to see if it was anything physical that was loose and she could find nothing physically wrong with the computer, Heatsyc fine, connections fine, power button ok, fans working (i knew that). So she said because its nothing physical there will be no charge as its in warranty.

Im confused altho! how can it be broken due to being dropped and not be any physical damage!?

#12 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:14 PM

I think it is quite obvious that there is physical damage regardless of the fact that there is no physical damage to be seen. How can you look inside a resistor, capacitor, diode, etc? The only way to determine damage in those cases is to use a multimeter. I'm pretty sure that what she meant was that she couldn't see any physical damage.

#13 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:29 PM

Thankfully it was under warranty :thumbsup: . Like Groovicus said there are allot of things that can be damaged internally such as a HDD that you can not see.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#14 tiverty

tiverty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:20 PM

wow, how does one ever then fix a computer with a little transistor broken on the inside of it in the Motherboard?

#15 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:30 PM

You either troubleshoot it with a multi-meter and oscilloscope, or swap out parts until you figure out that the motherboard is bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users